Public information about helmet use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This is not intended to be a thread about helmets; but it is about misguided public information on the radio.
I am of an age where I occasionally listen to Smooth FM. The other day I heard an advertisement, presumably paid for by the tax-payer as it was a public information type of ad, for cyclists. The catch phrase went along the lines of "if you don't have a helmet, you don't have a chance".
Notwithstanding the rights and wrongs of the actual message, it struck me that public money could be better spent, if they want to use national radio as a medium for getting important safety messages across. Perhaps by educating some drivers by informing them that VED does not pay for the roads - but general taxation does and cyclists being tax payers have every right to use the road. So please afford them enough space to keep them safe.......
The misconception about cyclists freeloading off the tax paying motorist is probably the root cause of a lot of cyclist v motorist incidents on the roads. Well that is IMHO after reading on this forum about altercations that seem to happen with monotonous regularity.
To be fair I have only heard the ad on one occasion; it might have been pulled if there were complaints about it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh, that's a shame. I guess that my "If you don't have a helmet, they'll see how bald you are" strapping was just too close to the bone for them.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have heard that info several times: sometimes it adds bright clothing and lights to the list of stuff to keep you safe on a bike.
I was thinking it really does put the safety responsibility exclusively on the cyclists, there's no " drivers give room to bikes" equivalent.
Wonder, does it come from the Police? Or maybe the council? But which council then? Need to pay more attention next time I hear it.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
how old do you have to be to listen to Smooth FM? Which, I hasten to add, I'd never heard of.
[QUOTE 3315434, member: 9609"]Never heard of it either - a quick google and it would appear to be based in Sydney, may be @Brandane is fed up of the Ayrshire weather and has emigrated..
Could also explain the advert, I don't think the aussies are too keen on cyclists.[/QUOTE]

Youngsters, read all about it here! Listen on Sky channel 0128. It is London based with regional satellites at certain times of day.

Venod

Eh up
Smooth FM plays some cracking stuff but gets a bit boring on long listens, I don't care for the celebrity DJ approach, (that applies to any radio station) Haven't noticed the ad, but it wouldn't make a difference if I had.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Smooth FM plays some cracking stuff but gets a bit boring on long listens,
That's because they only play the same dozen songs again and again :laugh:
On my antique kitchen radio Smooth is basically the only station I can get with a clear signal.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
how old do you have to be to listen to Smooth FM? Which, I hasten to add, I'd never heard of.

I believe it's SAGA radio rebranded, very much 'easy listening'.

GC

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I don't listen to Smooth FM - I'm obviously not old enough.

I still listen to Death-Metal-Thrash-Punk-Goth-Gore FM (with blood pouring out of the speakers), with a bit of Val Doonican on a Wednesday afternoon for balance.

I'm 47 years, 6 months and 13 days old (or thereabouts)

And I don't wear a helmet......

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
My local council produced this film concerning cycling in general. I came across it on you tube but have no idea if it's shown in schools or not, I'll have to find out.
Anyway, if you can stand to get to the end of it without throwing your computer across the room do make sure you have your cycling bingo card ready, enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom