Public Right of Way question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
A quick search for "Beware Of The Bull" gave ..... If you've ramblers crossing your land containing livestock, this sign will help you comply with health and safety legislation. So it's a legal obligation.

"Beware, Dangerous Dog" has changed to "Caution, I live here" so the owner doesn't admit he/she has a dangerous animal.

You would only need to 'beware' of an animal if it was known to be potentially dangerous, surely?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I emailed the council years ago about that but never got a reply. I was a bit distracted by various matters at the time so I forgot to try again. I will check to see if the sign is still there.

shirokazan

Veteran
Generally, it's illegal to have a bull in field which has a public right of way across it (in England & Wales). Extract from the Ramblers website:
"Section 59 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 bans the keeping of bulls in fields crossed by a right of way, unless they are under the age of 10 months or not of a recognised dairy breed, provided they’re accompanied by cows or heifers (young female cows). Recognised dairy breeds are Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry." (www.ramblers.org.uk/advice/rights-of-way-law-in-england-and-wales/animals-and-rights-of-way.aspx)

That webpage also has guidance re dangerous dogs.

classic33

Leg End Member
I emailed the council years ago about that but never got a reply. I was a bit distracted by various matters at the time so I forgot to try again. I will check to see if the sign is still there.
They've no-one who can answer and are using maps from the 60's. Having lost the newest set in their move from Northgate.

You would only need to 'beware' of an animal if it was known to be potentially dangerous, surely?

Cows are!

According to figures from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), 74 people have been killed by cows in the past 15 years.

Dogs, meanwhile, have killed 17 people in the last eight years, according to NHS figures obtained by The Daily Telegraph.

The HSE has since re-issued long-standing advice to farmers not to put calves and their mothers in fields accessible to the public as a precaution.

"As 70% of these deaths involved either a bull or newly calved cow, activities with these stock should be carefully planned," it said.

"Where ever possible farmers should avoid keeping cows and calves in fields with public footpaths."

Walkers and farm workers who fall foul of the one-tonne animals are often crushed, butted or trampled to death, the review into cattle-related deaths found.

The majority of victims by far are farm workers, with 56 of the 74 deaths from this group, while mostly lone walkers who had dogs made up the remaining 18 who had been killed.

"Of the 18 members of the public, all were present on public footpaths or commonly used rights of way, all but one were accompanied by a dog and with exception of one man who had wandered away from a family group, all were lone walkers or accompanied by one other person."

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It seems that 'Beware' has been omitted from some of the latest signs.

Screenshot_2017-06-23-21-16-29.png

D

Deleted member 23692

Certain bull breeds are legally allowed to be in field crossed by rights of way. So, assuming it's a correct breed the sign only needs to 'inform' of its presence. Adding 'beware' could be seen as an admission of knowing a certain bull might be dangerous, which is a no-no.

Cows aren't dangerous, but certain breeds in certain situations can be. Usually it involves calfs, dogs and protective mothers... and instances of cow attacks aren't as frequent as the media would have you believe considering the amount of PRoWs that cross fields with stock in them.

D

Deleted member 23692

If someone owns a field with a public footpath across it, they and their agents can drive on that footpath.
I can drive on them too :smile:

Well, only in a professional capacity and in the county in which I work... Highways Act 1980 S300

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Certain bull breeds are legally allowed to be in field crossed by rights of way. So, assuming it's a correct breed the sign only needs to 'inform' of its presence. Adding 'beware' could be seen as an admission of knowing a certain bull might be dangerous, which is a no-no.
That pretty much sums it up.:okay:

Broadside

Guru
There's a bridleway that goes right across the main runway at Blackbushe airport. You just need to make sure nothing's taking off or landing before you cross.

I know the footpath that crosses on the public side of the fence at the end of the runway approach but haven't heard of that bridelway.

classic33

Leg End Member

Cows aren't dangerous, but certain breeds in certain situations can be. Usually it involves calfs, dogs and protective mothers... and instances of cow attacks aren't as frequent as the media would have you believe considering the amount of PRoWs that cross fields with stock in them.
Been "headbutted" by a cow that didn't want to go through a gate.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I know the footpath that crosses on the public side of the fence at the end of the runway approach but haven't heard of that bridelway.
Actually I was being a bit facetious about checking for planes since I haven't lived there for years so I don't know exactly how to get to the bridleway. But it is there.
gb.3.480000.159000.2011.jpg

Top Bottom