Public Right of Way question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flatflr

Guru
Hamstead Park, West Berkshire. Here.
There's a map at the foot of the description. I exited near Church Farm in the SE corner of the estate.

I thought it might be there from the description (I run through there on a regular basis), and from memory that do have signs forbidding cycling at the entrances near Enborne Church and Hamstead Lock.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I thought it might be there from the description (I run through there on a regular basis), and from memory that do have signs forbidding cycling at the entrances near Enborne Church and Hamstead Lock.

Do they? I didn't see any, so I'll have a special look out for them next time I pass that way. Thanks,

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a bridleway that goes right across the main runway at Blackbushe airport. You just need to make sure nothing's taking off or landing before you cross.

flatflr

Guru
I'll probably be up that way for another run on Sunday and will have a look there. It's the same with the footpath through Benham Park which comes out of the "secret" door on the A4.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
There is a public footpath near me but very much in the countryside that states "Public footpath no horses or cycling" on the sign.
Then there are others that are routinely used by cyclists and quite rightly too in my opinion as they are a sensible way of getting somewhere without a lengthy diversion on busy roads.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I'll probably be up that way for another run on Sunday and will have a look there. It's the same with the footpath through Benham Park which comes out of the "secret" door on the A4.

Ha! I had a walk out there one day, just to go through that gate and see what was on the other side. Glad I did. It's delightful!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Built with the intention of blocking it though. Didn't work out that way. It should run through the house, if on the original route.
The one I was thinking of was at the end of a small road to the right at the top of Moss Lane. It was quite an old-looking building, probably built in 18xx.

There is a modern house on Park Lane in Mytholmroyd which has a footpath leading through the garden and I'm sure that the footpath would have been there long before the house was so the people who had the house built should have been well aware of that, and conveyancing on any subsequent sale should have made that clear too. Which makes this a bit annoying ...! :whistle:

Please walk across my garden.jpg

Does that really suggest "Please feel free to use the footpath through my garden"! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
The one I was thinking of was at the end of a small road to the right at the top of Moss Lane. It was quite an old-looking building, probably built in 18xx.

There is a modern house on Park Lane in Mytholmroyd which has a footpath leading through the garden and I'm sure that the footpath would have been there long before the house was so the people who had the house built should have been well aware of that, and conveyancing on any subsequent sale should have made that clear too. Which makes this a bit annoying ...! :whistle:

View attachment 358632

Does that really suggest "Please feel free to use the footpath through my garden"! :laugh:
There's one built in the late 80's, near Hebden Bridge, built across a footpath(around the Blue Pig) where you end up going through the garden.

It always seemed odd walking through a garden. Especially at night and if they'd rented it out, you could be met by someone unaware of the footpath. Always seemed to be an "invisible" washing line strung across it.

There's a few more up near Churn Milk Joan. Old farm buildings converted to houses.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's one built in the late 80's, near Hebden Bridge, built across a footpath(around the Blue Pig) where you end up going through the garden.

It always seemed odd walking through a garden. Especially at night and if they'd rented it out, you could be met by someone unaware of the footpath. Always seemed to be an "invisible" washing line strung across it.
Years ago I had ridden down the bridleway to the Blue Pig and stopped to drink some water on the little bridge that you have to cross to get to the entrance to Hardcastle Craggs. A grumpy woman came out of the cottage next to the bridge and told me that I was trespassing. I told her that it was a public right of way, that I had come down the bridleway and ... She interrupted me and told me that it was illegal to come down the 'footpath' on a bike. I pointed out the bridleway sign and said that it was therefore open to walkers, equestrians and cyclists. As for the bridge ...we were standing on a road. She grudgingly accepted that I had a right of passage over it but she then told me that I "didn't have the right to stop"! :wacko:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

View attachment 358632

Those signs really want reporting to the local authority rights of way person.

My brother-in-law very nearly bought a new build house with a public footpath running through the garden. It was only by pure good luck that he noticed it on a map - the solicitor doing the searches, etc never mentioned it.
When he questioned it with the developer he was told "don't worry, we're going to apply to the council to have it moved"...

He pulled out of the deal as a consequence and apparently the house he nearly bought has a very small and oddly shaped garden as the council refused to move the footpath.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

View attachment 358632

I would have thought that by putting up a 'Beware of the Dog' sign, the owners are admitting that their dog could present a danger to anyone on their land. This would leave them liable to prosecution if their dog actually attacked someone; knowingly allowing a dangerous dog to be loose in a public place.
Far better to have no sign at all and then claim ignorance of owning a dangerous dog.....'That's the first time he's ever bitten anyone your Honour.....it was totally out of character....honest!'.
To have such a sign where there is a public right of way is questionable, legally.

classic33

Leg End Member
Those signs really want reporting to the local authority rights of way person.

My brother-in-law very nearly bought a new build house with a public footpath running through the garden. It was only by pure good luck that he noticed it on a map - the solicitor doing the searches, etc never mentioned it.
When he questioned it with the developer he was told "don't worry, we're going to apply to the council to have it moved"...

He pulled out of the deal as a consequence and apparently the house he nearly bought has a very small and oddly shaped garden as the council refused to move the footpath.
There isn't a Public Rights of Way Officer since September 97.

classic33

Leg End Member
I would have thought that by putting up a 'Beware of the Dog' sign, the owners are admitting that their dog could present a danger to anyone on their land. This would leave them liable to prosecution if their dog actually attacked someone; knowingly allowing a dangerous dog to be loose in a public place.
Far better to have no sign at all and then claim ignorance of owning a dangerous dog.....'That's the first time he's ever bitten anyone your Honour.....it was totally out of character....honest!'.
To have such a sign where there is a public right of way is questionable, legally.
A bit like having a bull in a field, or at a sign saying Beware Of The Bull.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Exactly.
Having a sign saying 'There is a bull in this field' is a different matter to having one saying 'Beware of the bull'.
The former is purely informative; the latter implies some knowledge that the bull may be dangerous.

A quick search for "Beware Of The Bull" gave ..... If you've ramblers crossing your land containing livestock, this sign will help you comply with health and safety legislation. So it's a legal obligation.

"Beware, Dangerous Dog" has changed to "Caution, I live here" so the owner doesn't admit he/she has a dangerous animal.

Top Bottom