Public Transport Costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But you can't beat an anniversary treat of getting into Kings Cross after a good breakfast, relaxed and ready for the day, then a comfortable journey home and a nice meal... only done it once but would definitely do it again one day.

I think some people just like train travel and some don't. Met my fair share of people who've complained about the horror of it - it being full of drunks, weirdos, people on mobile phones, misbehaving children and so on. I've met some very interesting people on train journeys the last few years, all total strangers, some of who were a great laugh to listen to and some who were very polite. A few characters. A few interesting incidents but none anywhere near as dangerous as people make out. Never saw any of them again. It's just the restrictions/complexity/cost of the mainlines that irritates me/stresses some people out where it wouldn't otherwise.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think some people just like train travel and some don't. Met my fair share of people who've complained about the horror of it - it being full of drunks, weirdos, people on mobile phones, misbehaving children and so on. I've met some very interesting people on train journeys the last few years, all total strangers, some of who were a great laugh to listen to and some who were very polite. A few characters. A few interesting incidents but none anywhere near as dangerous as people make out. Never saw any of them again. It's just the restrictions/complexity/cost of the mainlines that irritates me/stresses some people out where it wouldn't otherwise.

Over the last nearly two years I've had my fair share of uncomfortable train journeys, but by adapting my travel times (which I'm fortunate to be able to do - for example if I get the 15.57, which terminates and restarts at York, I have a much better chance of a seat than the 16.26, which comes in from Scarborough already crowded. But I have to take a couple of hours off work on a Friday afternoon to make the train, which I make up out of time off in lieu and holiday) I usually have a fairly stress free trip, with the chance to read, or surf online, or just stare out of the window at the view, for a couple of hours. I can't do that if I drive (as I have done a couple of times recently).

As NT pointed out, it's quicker for him to drive here than the train, but that is partly down to the need to change trains, and the wait in between. On a simple mainline journey like York to London, it's much quicker and less tiring to get the train. But oh, so expensive for a whim.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I saw this on a recent train journey...
DSC_0734.jpg
DSC_0735.jpg
DSC_0736.jpg

Slightly unusual, not sure what it was originally.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Most unusual journey I've had to Kings Cross was when I was accompanied by the man whose car I reversed into at the Station 'Long Stay' car park!
... I'd been forced to back out by the car park attendant as he said it was already full by 7am [apparently a lot of solicitors park there all day as they work in the centre] so was reversing back out of the entrance just as this man was driving past. I dinted his back door with my rear bumper... I told him to follow me as we both then had to find an alternative car park... he followed me to the multi-storey round the corner. Unfortunately it was raining hard, I stopped for the red light but he didn't and smashed into the back of my car... we just had to park up and run to the station. I then discovered he was on the same train as me to London, so we sat and exchanged insurance details on the way down. Turned out he was a landscape architect and knew many of the people that I know! ....we still keep in touch!

The insurance claim forms were a bit unusual to say the least... his insurance paid for the damage to my car. My damage to his car was minimal, but his own damage to the front of his meant they wrote his car off! We can laugh about it now!

TVC

I had a flyer through the door today from the Council and Arriva explaining the plans to put in bus lanes and priority junctions along the main route into Leicester near where I live (Lutterworth Rd/Aylestone Rd for Leicesterites)

This they proudly proclaimed would 'incentivise' people to make journeys by bus rather than by car. Millions of pounds spent, months of disruption to cut a few minutes off the bus journey time whilst "Not significantly adversely affecting the car journey time".

Now, from where I live it cost £2 each way for a 2 mile journey, so that's £8 for me and Mrs VC to go on a shopping trip into town. However, I can park in the city centre at £1.60 for 2 hours, and I don't have to wait in the rain at a vandalised bus stop.

If you want to get people onto buses, don't charge £1 a mile. Simple!

Peteaud

Veteran
Just checked a notorious airline and, for example, I could get from Leeds to Limoges, return, £50. Whilst Limoges ain't exactly exciting, I guess it wouldn't cost too much to get somewhere that is, and there is an airport near Nottingham.

Ive been trying to get from exeter to south france, best quote around £800.

Back to the OP

You are not including the real cost of the car, but fully agree with you. I have to go to Reading every now and again (family) and its cheaper by car door to door than the train but a massive amount.

Night Train

Maker of Things
You are not including the real cost of the car, but fully agree with you. I have to go to Reading every now and again (family) and its cheaper by car door to door than the train but a massive amount.
The 'real' and overall cost of a car is high when it is included in a single journey calculation.

However, once a car is in the household the costs of insurance, license, maintenance, etc. have to be paid whether the car is used or not. Deciding to take a train doesn't refund/reduce any of those costs.

I have a car for work (tools, materials, heavy loads, etc.) and so using it for personal journeys is really only the fuel cost when compared to public transport.
I am sensible though, and walk or cycle shorter distances and use the trams or train to get into Manchester as it is cost effective and less stressful then using the car unnecessarily.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That was last year - our 9th.
This year was renewing our vows in York then a week in Rome - week before last.

What's all that about?
"I still solemnly declare that I won't shag your best friend"^_^

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Back to the OP

I did say "I'm fortunate in that I have a company car and only pay for fuel, but even in a private car (costed at 50p per mile), option 1 would work out at about £160"

National Express is indeed cheaper that Mega Bus at £64 return, though adding local bus travel it still works out at more than the cost of taking a car and the overall journey time will be a fair bit longer.

al78

Guru
For me, the cost of the train to visit my family is much cheaper than driving if I can get advance tickets. Am going up early October and the advance fares totaled £34 return for a 240 mile journey from Horsham to Manchester. So yes, sometimes public transport is more expensive, but not necessarily all the time. It pays to look at all the options and try to be a bit flexible with travelling times if possible.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
But you can't beat an anniversary treat of getting into Kings Cross after a good breakfast, relaxed and ready for the day, then a comfortable journey home and a nice meal... only done it once but would definitely do it again one day.
I'm sure you're right. It works in the other direction as well. Early train to York (booked well in advance). Breakfast on the train. Museums, shopping, lunch by the river, a bottle of bubbly in the station bar (actually make that three bottles of bubbly) train back to the Great Wen, cab home...........

Arch

Married to Night Train
Top Bottom