Puch Alpine bought on ebay.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oh no; what have I done? :laugh:

Nostalgia got the better of me, as I bought one of these (new) in 1976 at the tender age of 14. It was the bike which got me started on cycling. Saw this on ebay and couldn't resist........
$(KGrHqZHJFcFF2YHNkTEBRj4HMqJRg~~60_35.JPG

The challenge now is to restore it to something like its former glory. Haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but the description makes it out to be in reasonable condition. I will find out soon. Seems ok for £36 though??. I will be on this board picking your collective brains for sources for parts in the near future!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well we all suffer from nostalgia some time, nothing wrong with that! At that price you can't go far wrong and if it takes you back to your pubescent yearings why not. Doesn't look too bad so probably won't cost much to get it into rideable state. Do the usual checks like wiggling the cranks for play, check wheel bearings, spokes and headset. If you fancy it take it apart and relube and clean it, should be an easy job. Have fun.

sidevalve

Über Member
A bit of work and you may be surprised just how good it is to ride. Not all "old" bikes were iron framed garden gates and at least they were all easy to fix. Have fun with it.

Fubar

Guru
Oh no; what have I done? :laugh:

Nostalgia got the better of me, as I bought one of these (new) in 1976 at the tender age of 14. It was the bike which got me started on cycling. Saw this on ebay and couldn't resist........
$(KGrHqZHJFcFF2YHNkTEBRj4HMqJRg~~60_35.JPG

The challenge now is to restore it to something like its former glory. Haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but the description makes it out to be in reasonable condition. I will find out soon. Seems ok for £36 though??. I will be on this board picking your collective brains for sources for parts in the near future!

A definite for a future CC Ecosse ride!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just got it home after collection in Troon. It is actually rideable! I reckon for starters it will just need a good strip down and clean and re-grease all the usual bits like the wheel bearings, steering bearings, bottom bracket (suspect that might need a replacement), brakes etc.. Some new cables and outers, bar tape, and it will be ready for the road. Some time down the line if I get carried away I could get the frame painted and the chrome bits re-chromed. The project won't be starting for at least a couple of weeks as I'm off to do a wee tour of a corner of Normandy on the Tricross.

Edit: It will also need a saddle, the one fitted is just the worst thing I have ever sat on. A Charge Spoon might be the way to go. Also, I had forgotten how narrow the drop handlebars were back in the good ol' days! How did we ever steer these things!

Teuchter

Über Member
That looks a bargain!

My first road bike was a Puch in 1986, when I was 13. I was gutted to discover that my parents threw it in the skip when they moved house 5 years ago without even asking me if I wanted it back! At the same time I was shopping for an n+1 old road bike too!

Enid Agnus Dei

Very nice I only got mine as it's my midlife crisis!

Attachments

• yes yes yes.jpg
    yes yes yes.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 273

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You can always get wider drop bars.
They should be the width of your shoulder joints, IIRC.
That sure looks to be a beautiful bike, though .
I never see too many Puchs that aren't branded "Sears"

Top Bottom