Puch Alpine bought on ebay.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
What/which single chainset do you have in mind?

Bought this one on e-bay, which was delivered today.

$T2eC16ZHJIkE9qU3k6w-BRnj2wp(Yw~~60_35.JPG

Although it won't retain the retro look, it is a good deal lighter than the crankset which came off the bike, and wanting a 46 tooth chainring meant my choice was somewhat limited. Obviously I am now looking for a square taper BB and want to get the correct size. According to my LBS the thread on the BB shell is standard British. A basic Shimano BB should do the job, I hope.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Bought this one on e-bay, which was delivered today.

Do you know whether it needs a JIS or ISO bb? Do you know what spindle length would correspond to what chainline?

If not you should ask the seller (and hope he knows and he is right), failing that you might be able to figure it out with the precise make and model of the chainset (if it is not a minor/unknown brand), and failing that derive the answer by measurement after installing it with an existing, known bb type and spindle length.

If I had the original cups I would definitely double-check to be sure they don't both have right hand thread (i.e. can be screwed in clockwise).

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do you know whether it needs a JIS or ISO bb? Do you know what spindle length would correspond to what chainline?

If not you should ask the seller (and hope he knows and he is right), failing that you might be able to figure it out with the precise make and model of the chainset (if it is not a minor/unknown brand), and failing that derive the answer by measurement after installing it with an existing, known bb type and spindle length.

If I had the original cups I would definitely double-check to be sure they don't both have right hand thread (i.e. can be screwed in clockwise).

Arghhh; I knew this would get too technical for me! :laugh: JIS or ISO, good question and one I had forgotten about :blush:. I will try the crankset for fit on my MTB which has a square taper Shimano (so JIS?) BB..

Original cups definitely have opposing threads, i.e. left side unscrews in the conventional anti-clockwise direction while right side is clockwise to unscrew.

OLN = 125mm.

Edit: The crankset appears to be unbranded. The one and only stamp on it is "XD2R".. Google tells me that this is a chainset made by Sugino of Japan. I suspect from the poor finish on the one I have bought that it is a cheap copy of the Sugino, but hopefully that means it needs a JIS BB..

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I agree it is most likely that your mtb bb would be JIS, and certainly if it is a Shimano bb. You could kind of get an indication, whether the chainset is ISO or JIS, by seeing how far it sits on a JIS spindle, some example photos are here.

If you then measure the mtb spindle length and the resulting chainline, it wouldn't be too difficult to deduce what bb you need to achieve the chainline you want.

If the hub's OLN distance is 125mm, is the distance between the dropouts the same? If so how far is the small sprocket from the dropout?

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here is the end result:

1wd9.jpg

y7ty.jpg

Had it out for its maiden voyage today, and all I can say is ................ Bikes (or to be more accurate, lower end bikes) have come on a long way in 40 odd years!! The brakes are non-existent; to the extent that I had to jump off and stop the thing with my feet as I was about to rear end an Audi at a red light :laugh:. Non-indexed gears are fine - if you are out in the country and can actually hear if the chain is running smoothly on the cassette or not. The ride is very harsh compared to any of my aluminium framed bikes (2 of which have carbon forks).

So..... This won't be getting used as an everyday ride. Maybe it will be brought out for nostalgic occasions, or perhaps it will end up on e-bay :whistle:. It does need some more time spent on it, and I need to find a pair of decent quality brake calipers and brake blocks for it. Also a vintage pump would be a nice addition.

So far I have bought new wheels/tyres, bottom bracket, crankset, chain, sprocket, bar tape, seat post, and mudguards. Pedals and saddle were from the bits and pieces I have lying around. Paint job is by hand with Hammerite smooth yellow (quite a good match to original), then new transfers applied, followed by a coat of spray on clear lacquer. It looks okay unless given a close inspection.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice, the Hammerite looks fantastic. You'll have an even bigger shock if you try to stop it in the wet! I believe there special pads which might help you out a bit.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Very fine job, that bike looks the cats pajamas. Don't ride it in the wet.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..

''Also a vintage pump would be a nice addition.''

I withdrew this -- if it's what you want - the reduced price was £15 posted - it has new frame mounted clips
frenchpump_zpsff6968df.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------

very nice...from Troon.? you're bloody lucky - all the bikes i like on eBay are ''Collection only - London''..................:sad:

chris2392

Hi guys!

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I have a 1985 puch alpine which I believe is supposed to look like the bike in the pictures I will attach to this at the end.

Anyway it seems like you guys all like puch's.. So I'll get to my point, the hooligan who owned it before me sprayed the whole thing a ghastly colour so I had to completely strip the paint and get it resprayed. At first I didn't want decals but have changed my mind but have no idea on measurements to give to the graphics designer.

If any of you could help with this I would be so greatful!

Thanks!

Chris
Bottle-Cage-Mount.jpg
Alpine-Logo.jpg
Puch-Before-and-After-Composite.jpg
Dave-Thumbs-Up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom