Pudsey to Leeds best route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nidge1975

Hi,

I have just moved to Pudsey (by Church Lane, just by the entrance to the park) and am wondering what the best route into Leeds city centre would be? When I’ve looked on Google it seems to suggest going on the Stanningley bypass which frankly I’d rather not do!

I guess I can cycle to Bramley or Rodley and go along the canal but that seems to be quite a long de-tour (I need to be by the station in Leeds).

Can anyone suggest a better more direct route (that doesn’t involve the bypass)?

Many Thanks,

Google provides a cycle route function which should bypass motorways. Using your start and end points it didn't use the bypass for me. If I were you...

head past Morrisons (Swinnow road), right on Stanningly Lane, hop on the tow path, depending where in leeds you are going you can stay on the canal, or take the A65 or Burley St, both are fine.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/C...0x48795ed0ad09c375:0x784c089442bc4cb3!1m0!3e1

I live on the other side of Pudsey and I take Tong Rd, and pop down through Armley to avoid the Armley gyratory. Oh and welcome to Leeds! :welcome:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
You'll be headed for Water Lane I take it?

Leeds-Liverpool canal towpath is closed in places.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I'd go on the Stanningley ROAD (not the bypass) , it's mostly downhill to Leeds.

Alternatively I'd head towards Kirkstall on the B6157 and take the A65 in. Neither Road is nice though, but the A65 has a bus lane along some of it.

I also often used the B6154, Houghside Road (sometimes Swinnow Road and Swinnow Lane) and on to Tong Road. Not the finest bike journey I can think of. :-(

classic33

Leg End Member
Your problems will begin upon reaching the A58(M) area. Which side of the railway station do you need to be on?

OP
OP
N

nidge1975

Hi,

Thanks for the responses and apologies for the late reply.

I’m not actually new to Leeds, but I used to live in Meanwood and that was a relatively simply commute straight down Meanwood Road and up through Little London. I work close to Bridgewater Place.

Going to work on Friday I went through the centre of Pudsey, up past Bramley station on Swinnow Road, took a right to get on Stanningley Road and then got on the canal by going through Gotts Park (on Redcoat Lane). That was easier than I had expected tbh.

Coming home I stayed on the canal too long and ended up getting off at the Abbey Inn (basically when I could go no further on the canal). I then had to go up a massive hill on Pollard Lane, and then along Leeds and Bradford Road, Swinnow Lane and Swinnow Road to get back to the centre of Pudsey. There was a lot more hills involved on that journey than I’m used to!

Looking at a map, the B6154 (Tong Road I think) may also be a fairly direct route but for the moment I think I’ll stick to the canal.

Thanks again everyone!

Your problems will begin upon reaching the A58(M) area. Which side of the railway station do you need to be on?
Naaah - near the bottom of Tong Road, turn right into Copley Hill, wend your way to the foot/cycle bridge over the A58, and follow Whitehall Road through to the station. Nearest you'll get to a straight line, and mercifully easier than the main road.

classic33

Leg End Member
Naaah - near the bottom of Tong Road, turn right into Copley Hill, wend your way to the foot/cycle bridge over the A58, and follow Whitehall Road through to the station. Nearest you'll get to a straight line, and mercifully easier than the main road.
Used to come in via the A58 and onto Whitehall Road via the two roundabouts, then Globe Road & Water Lane.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I used to go down stanningley road, through armley, past prison, to the big gyratory and past Dunelm Mill.

Was a nice ride, mostly down hill and a cycle lane all along.

Top Bottom