Pull in the back of my knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have a slight pulling in the back of my knee . Bad enough to give me a slight limp but i'm stumped as to how it happened . The last bit of cycling i did was at the weekend and i had been sat down all evening before it appeared . I thought it may have gone over night but was worse when i woke up . Its eased of a little now i am up and about but its still annoying . Any ideas to what i have done ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sounds like the leg has been overextended. Even if the saddle or pedals haven't moved, you can do that stretching for the floor from the saddle, being bounced up by a lump while pedalling or even just by sitting in a strange position with the foot wedged under something :sad:

I'd take it easy for a few days and if it returns or doesn't subside, call a medic (GP or 111, depending where you are).

mjr

Oh and besides the saddle actually moving, even thicker shorts pads or seat suspension return can be enough of a height increase to stretch stuff, if you use either.

As mjr says, it does sound like you may have overextended it. Cptips says the following

• Posterior
    • Reasons
      • hamstring/gastrocnemius
      • neurovacular bundle
    • Causes
      • saddle too high or too far back
      • too much pedal float
      • leg length discrepancy with no correction for shorter leg
    • Possible solutions
      • lower seat (in small increments) or move seat forward
      • limit float to 6 - 8 degrees
      • set seat for longer, not shorter, leg with correction for the shorter leg

If it's a one off, then fine, stuff happens but if it re-occurs look at that list. In the meantime, some gentle hamstring and adductor stretches and ice and perhaps if really bad some anti-inflammatories if you can take them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Sorry i dont think i was very clear . The last bit of cycling i did was on Sunday . This appeared from no where on Tuesday evening with no warning that anything was wrong .

Sorry i dont think i was very clear . The last bit of cycling i did was on Sunday . This appeared from no where on Tuesday evening with no warning that anything was wrong .
You were clear. it's possible you noticed it on Tuesday because it became fully apparent but you could still have done it on Sunday. Or you might have done it some other way. Either way, the cure is the same.

mjr

What did you do Tuesday? I've injured myself in the office in some daft ways, including absent-mindedly tucking my foot under a footrest and pulling the foot up so long that I strained something in my ankle :blush:

Reading this column of pain with some interest as at the beginning of September I had a very similar problem which I still have Pain at the rear of the knee and some painful swelling all around the Right knee. When attending the local GP as it hadn't gone away, I was told to rest it in as much as not to cycle or do any kneeling and that was at the start of October so not done any more the 2 miles local since then Though am due x-ray this coming week, thankfully the swelling has gone down but having done some few 100+ milers this last summer put this down to over use? It seems quite strange that having done those miles that on a relatively 33 mile short trip to wake up the following day to find your in quite a bit of pain and look down to see a somewhat swollen knee. ( Though the painkilling gel works quite well)
I might add that I don't cycle fast as 15mph is about my good average and at 69 years old like to think I'm not doing to badly perhaps its time to wind down my distances Though I really enjoy them, As theres nothing like exploring the lanes and byways of somewhere new and finding a new café!
Anybody got any thoughts on this as would be pleased to hear them. Thanks.
P.S am thoroughly fed up as missed a lot of great cycling weather!!!!!

I read something which said most club cyclists have their saddles to high, which can actually cause more problems than a saddle being too low. Anyway mine was lowered in a fit and I've had no niggles touch wood in the back of my legs !

Many thanks for your reply, yes this had crossed my mind too. As earlier in the summer I got a really good new pair of Castelli bib shorts which do have a good quality pad in them which is slightly thicker than my old dhb ones As its only just become apparent (well nearly two months ago now) I would have thought that I'd have been having this pain far sooner? If any thing I felt more comfortable riding thus doing longer rides. As I said it was only the one knee, I would have thought that if it was indeed the pad I'd have had this problem in both knees?
Still if and when I do get it sorted I'II be in my full length bib tights and the pad in them is slightly thinner so I should be OK if it is the pad thickness

Top Bottom