Pull Out - Driver had no idea what they did....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Actually, Matt is right about that move - clearly you can only do it when safe, but it does tend to make drivers realise just how fast you're approaching them.

Recently a vid was posted on here from one of the motorcycling schools about the loom problem, and describing exactly what Matt writes.

Matthames

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
ZIG ZAG?...at 20+MPH on a busy dual carriage way??...are you out of your mind?!!

its a push bike, not a motorcycle, its not keeping up with traffic like a motorcycle and cars are approaching its rear end at speed and anticipating an overtake. Suddenly swerving in that situation would cause a disaster.

it was the drivers fault, she was simply un-observant, no point at all in putting your life further at risk in the anticipation that some old girl who cant select the right gear "wont" know what to do.

Obviously you wouldn't do such manouver if it was at the sacrifice of safety, nothing should compromise safety. A simple change from secondary to primary would have the same effect, in such a situation I would be moving into primary in anticipation to give myself room and to prevent overtaking and being shut off with nowhere to go.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Actually, Matt is right about that move - clearly you can only do it when safe, but it does tend to make drivers realise just how fast you're approaching them.

Recently a vid was posted on here from one of the motorcycling schools about the loom problem, and describing exactly what Matt writes.

I think you'll find that's the link that Matt posted in his reply BM.

Still not convinced, sorry.

besides the video is from a MOTORCYCLE training school, we are not motorcycles. If there is a similar suggestion in some cycle training manual or vid I will gladly stand corrected and consider it for the future

I am sure that I would be doing this dozens (and dozens) of times a day as most, if not all, the junctions I come to have a car edging its way out. I prefer good eye contact and doing as Fossy did...keeping my wits about me, rather than becoming unpredictable in the eyes of the following drivers by suddenly changing from secondary to primary (for no good reason in their eyes).What I think I dislike most about this suggestion is that it seems to place some blame on fossy for not deploying antiloom evasive manoeuvres...he did very well in the circumstances and did nothing to cause this drivers error. (I think his own responce to your suggestion concurrs)

Still if it works for you then good, but its not for me (maybe when I'm on the loud bike I'll consider it in the right situations)

HaloJ said:
SMIDSY or just plain ignorance? The shaking of her head suggests the latter. Lovely pace. :smile:

Or in the drivers words after the collision (if things had been different):

"It's not my fault. The cyclist was going too fast. He came out of nowhere and was going like a bat out of hell."

And the worst bit abut it will be that it won't be a made-up excuse per se, the driver will actually believe that they are blameless because the bike was going "too fast"

"Bat out of Hell" when referring to a cyclist can be defined as anything above 20mph if the driver was in front of the cyclist, though the same speed is described as "Wobbling around in the road" when the driver approaches from the rear

thomas

the tank engine
fossyant said:
What is scary/odd...is how slow it seems in real life - it's over in a jiffy on camera, but the old heart pumping out etc. makes the 'systems' work overtime.......what I'm saying is most drivers are half asleep....body systems are ticking over at rest......

That's the main thing I notice with my videos. What felt like ages, actually was over in the blink of an eye. I've watched a few and couldn't believe how quickly it was actually over.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
fossyant said:

Why doesn't that surprise me! It irritates me to see her attitude too ... mind you, people do that to me on my motorbike as well as my pedal bike! ... and my motorbike has a sodding great big headlight on it and a sodding great big loud exhaust and a sodding great big loud horn (I deliberately fitted one that is as loud as the law will allow) ... and they still pull out in front of me, with that slack-jawed glazed expression that is typical of drivers who don't have a clue ...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bicycles still have two wheels, and still have the looming problem Jonny. Adding some sideways vector makes it much easier for drivers to realise how fast we're going. It's not blaming Fossy, it's talking about stuff that makes us all safer through correcting for moton mistakes.

You've forgotten how unpredictable is good - it keeps drivers away from us, it keeps them closer to the brake pedal than to the accelerator pedal, and it makes it safer for every other rider they come across. I want more wobbly cyclists out there, lots more.

Anyway, I think Fossy did some nice riding there, and I can't blame him for getting irritated with the driver, much less her poor attitude.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Bicycles still have two wheels, and still have the looming problem Jonny. Adding some sideways vector makes it much easier for drivers to realise how fast we're going. It's not blaming Fossy, it's talking about stuff that makes us all safer through correcting for moton mistakes.

You've forgotten how unpredictable is good - it keeps drivers away from us, it keeps them closer to the brake pedal than to the accelerator pedal, and it makes it safer for every other rider they come across. I want more wobbly cyclists out there, lots more.

Anyway, I think Fossy did some nice riding there, and I can't blame him for getting irritated with the driver, much less her poor attitude.

Point One I'll take under advisement (still not convinced) but I'll keep it in mind and who knows, under the right circumstances, with enough awareness of whats behind me, maybe I'll try it.

Point Three I totally agree on

Point Two tho...hmmm. I've not "forgotten" BM, I've never believed in it. I have always concentrated on being as predictable as possible as this keep me safe (at least I perceive that it does). But I have to say I've given your comment a lot of fault, much as I HATE wobbly, unpredictable cyclists when I am in a car, I do "avoid" them more...so perhaps there is something in it....maybe its ego, maybe its my own personality but I prefer to be very clear and definite about how I act and respond, so being "wooly" is just not appealing to me.

Hmmm:wacko:

Armegatron

From day 1 of passing my driving test I understood the problems of not gauging a (motor)bike's speed from a distance because of the narrow profile, so if I seen a bike at a distance where I would normally have time to pull out Id wait for a different gap.

Unfortunatly it is a problem that isnt understood by some other drivers ;)

redddraggon

Blondie
fossyant said:
A34, South of Manchester...40 MPH dual carriageway, great visibility, normally a good ride up and down it.......

I ride down that stretch of road to meet my club. Quiet dual carriageway before 9am on Sunday, and you still get the usual idiots who have to pass you stupidly close.

Arch

Married to Night Train
XmisterIS said:
Why doesn't that surprise me! It irritates me to see her attitude too ... mind you, people do that to me on my motorbike as well as my pedal bike! ... and my motorbike has a sodding great big headlight on it and a sodding great big loud exhaust and a sodding great big loud horn (I deliberately fitted one that is as loud as the law will allow) ... and they still pull out in front of me, with that slack-jawed glazed expression that is typical of drivers who don't have a clue ...

I drive this some days:

header-sustainability-projects-hover.jpg

and they do it to me.

Mind you, we get overtaken by old ladies on bikes, we're so slow, so an 'emergency stop' is more a case of thinking 'eh up, ease off a bit, put the kettle on..."

I used to mutter, when someone pulled out in front of me on the bike, "would you do that if I was driving a lorry?"

Then I got a job driving a lime green ex mobile library, and found that yes, they would.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
They do. It's not quite such a big deal when you're in a lorry though, since you can simply drive over them.;)

Well, there is that. Our Beryl (the yellow thing) isn't so massive, but still built a bit like a tank and loaded with not only 100s of kgs of paper and glass, but 8 car batteries, so she weighs a bit...

Top Bottom