Pump for Ridgeback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlasgowCraig

Hi, just wondered what pump I will need for Ridgeback Element eq. It’s my second bike, due in a few weeks. I already have a lovely Pashley Briton which came with a nice pump. Will I also have to get some kind of attachment to hold the Ridgeback’s pump? Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Craig and :welcome: to CC.

I don't think anyone carries a pump these days, too bulky and unnecessary. Co2 cartridges are the norm now and a track pump at home.

View: https://youtu.be/IGgFqN8jYdg?si=23iIDb9mdiC42EEd

figbat

Slippery scientist
I would question the assertion that "CO2 cartridges are the norm now". Maybe for some echelons of the cycling world but for many a pump is still a thing; it never runs out, doesn't freeze your hands and is free to use in perpetuity.

To @GlasgowCraig - to define the pump you need you need to know the type of tyre valve. That said almost all pumps are able to cover the two most common types: Schrader and Presta, sometimes needing to be converted between the two by a simple, tool-less operation. If the Ridgeback bike doesn't have a pump mount built-in then you can find plenty of small pumps that come with a carrier that attaches to the frame, often with the water bottle cage bolts. It then comes down to features such as size, cost and appearance to make your decision.

abcd efg

Über Member
There is another consideration regarding types of pump and that is the type of tyres you have. Tyres these days come as either High Volume Low Pressure or High Pressure Low Volume and most pumps are specific to one or the other of those..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Co2 cartridges are the norm

Bit of a waste, and pumps are hardly bulky unless you look like this chap.

o-SOFTY-WALTER-570.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Hello Craig and :welcome: to CC.

I don't think anyone carries a pump these days, too bulky and unnecessary. Co2 cartridges are the norm now and a track pump at home.

View: https://youtu.be/IGgFqN8jYdg?si=23iIDb9mdiC42EEd

I think you'd be massively mistaken in that assumption.

I'd question the benefit of CO2 for most - being finite, costly, unpredictable and potentially problematic when used with certain tyre sealants..

Granted it's quicker than using a pump, but that's probably only of interest to those competing, or perhaps commuters.

Personally I don't see the appeal and find carrying a pump perfectly adequate.

Most pump users carry mini pumps in their bags. You cant leave a pump on a bike locked up.
Most pumps have reversable heads for both types of valve.

Top Bottom