Pump - What do you think?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It can only happen if a) you have removable value cores b) they are not tight enough. Personally I would not get the pump as it has a fixed head, I prefer to have a bit of hose to avoid damaging the tube/valve join.

vickster

Legendary Member
I found an amazing joe blow trackpump for an absolute bargain, usually £80 but local bike shop selling it for £10!

Went in the next day and it had gone back up to £80!
I complained to the owner and all he could say was "well, that's inflation".

Sorry.
Your coat is over there >>>

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi there

I’ve seen this pump in a sale – it looks good and handy. However, I’m a bit put off by some of the reviews which say that the whole presta valve comes off after you’ve pumped up the tyres and are taking the pump off. I’ve had this happen to me in the past (not with this pump) and it really is a pain. What do you think?
Thanks in advance for your help.

J

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-race-rocket-hp-pump/rp-prod74898
I've been using one of these for a couple of years and so far no problems although only had to use it a few times. On my version the end opposite the pump handle has a Presta valve tool built into so you can make sure the valve is in tight before attaching the pump. Hopefully this will stop the valve unscrewing when removing the pump head. Unfortunately can't see from the CRC link if the one shown has this, but you could always carry a valve tool just in case, you just have to remember to use it!

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I've been using one of these for a couple of years and so far no problems although only had to use it a few times. On my version the end opposite the pump handle has a Presta valve tool built into so you can make sure the valve is in tight before attaching the pump. Hopefully this will stop the valve unscrewing when removing the pump head. Unfortunately can't see from the CRC link if the one shown has this, but you could always carry a valve tool just in case, you just have to remember to use it!

What is a valve tool and where do I get one? Do you have a link?

Thanks

NickWi

Guru
I've also got one, plus two sets of water bottle clips. The pump is swapped between bikes, has survived three winters and numerous strip strapped to the bike on the back of the car in some pretty inclemant weather. You will struggle if you expect something as small as this to give you the full 120psi, but that's the case with a lot of mini pumps, however the flexi hose is easy to use.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I've also got one, plus two sets of water bottle clips. The pump is swapped between bikes, has survived three winters and numerous strip strapped to the bike on the back of the car in some pretty inclemant weather. You will struggle if you expect something as small as this to give you the full 120psi, but that's the case with a lot of mini pumps, however the flexi hose is easy to use.

What pump are you referring to? There have been a few recommendations on here. Thanks

Top Bottom