Pumping away!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara123

Hi all I've been a lurker for a while but now I need some help pretty please

I have a specialized road bike with presta valves and a beto track pump. When I first attached my pump the psi said 60 although the tyres still felt quite hard:blink: Anyways I pumped them to 80 psi and can get no further....and I have tried for ages honest, am I being a wimp or do you think I'm doing something wrong?
Thanks lovely cc people
Sara

Bryony

Veteran
:welcome: to the forum! I can't help you, but there will be a very nice and helpful person along shortly that probably can! ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Welcome. Just to check you are opening the valve up fully? I struggle to get over 100 with my Joe Blow pump, but that's enough for me

sittingbull

Veteran
Have a look at this thread from yesterday, it may help.

If you're getting to 80 psi then you must be doing something right. It suggests you've either reached the limit of the pump or your own limit :pump:

I've got a cheap (£15) plastic bodied Beto track pump and it exceeds my expectations, I stop at 115psi (700 x 23c tyres).

Have another go, arms locked straight and put your weight behind it :sweat:

Custom24

Über Member
I'm a bit suspicious of the pressure actually in the tyre - it's not that difficult to get 100psi with a track pump.

I blew up a tyre a few weeks ago, and I think it may have been because the gauge on my track pump is not accurate. Is it possible for you to check the gauge in some way? Presta valves make this a bit tricky, but one way, if you have also a bike with a Schrader valve, is to check pump vs tyre pressure gauge on that.
another way is to check the pressure of the Presta tyre according to another gauged pump. That's what I did.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Hey there :smile:

When you unscrew the presta thingy-ma-bob, press it in and let a blast of air out. They can get stuck shut from being screwed up thight/mucky and make pumping up impossible. Every time You go to pump.
Any track pump should get 100psi no probs. Even with lovely feminine arms :smile:

JasonHolder

That's the one! When it starts to get difficult,arms and lower yourself by bending your knees. Your body weight does the work.
Works for climbing hills too (when it starts to get difficult) lock the knees and crush the pedals with bodyweight.
Back on track anyway ;)

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
some pressure indicators on pumps aren't super accurate, I normally go with how the tyre feels as my check.... having said that my Joe Blow seems pretty much spot on.....

JasonHolder

Bet your tires are under pressure then :smile: 60psi feels hard but 100-120 is insanely hard as it should be.

Correct pressure tires should make you feel like youre on EPO.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Works for climbing hills too (when it starts to get difficult) lock the knees and crush the pedals with bodyweight.
Back on track anyway ;)
By the time I've run out of gears I'm usually too tired to stand up. If I stand up before I'm too tired to stand up I soon have to sit down again, which pretty much leaves me back where I started.

JasonHolder

By the time I've run out of gears I'm usually too tired to stand up. If I stand up before I'm too tired to stand up I soon have to sit down again, which pretty much leaves me back where I started.
Hehe nicely worded!
its never too late to set a good base! Cycling is primarily an endurance sport correct?