Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ratty2k

Ok, so not the most exciting of topics....:biggrin:
But having punctured yesterday on my way home from work (rough dirt track on a PX Kaffenback and CX tyres) and finding the frame fit pump cheap nasty pile off poo that I tried to use is, err, not very good....

Time for a new one, any recommendations?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think there was a similar thread last week on the beginners section...maybe have a quick look?

I'll swear by my topeak mini morph, by the way. I'm a girl and can pump my tyres up, no problem.

Tynan

Veteran
got the mini morph which disappears nicely into the pannier, I think it's a justifiable compromise given the hopefully few times it'll get used

and it does work

Nick1979

It seems there is a near consensus on Topeak! But I'm a bit confused by their range, they make 3 pumps within the same price range (£23-27):
- Road Morph (220g)
- Morph Mini Turbo (228g)
- Mini Morph (240g)

Do you know what the differences are? Which one to get?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The key is the pressure you want, and the ease with which you want to achieve it (and where you carry the pump).

Mr Tynan, of this parish, favours the mini morph, which can achieve high pressure, but requires more exertion to do so, with the advantage of being compact and easy to carry.

I favour the Road Morph, as its larger size means less effort to achieve road tyre pressures - downsides are that it's less compact (if not carrying it on the frame, it'll need to go in your rucksack, as opposed to in a jersey pocket or similar). The frame bracket is also (imo) poorly designed, and will mean surrendering a bottle cage unless you use the zip tie method of attaching it to your frame - I'd much prefer it to mount to the side of a cage like most mini pumps.

I'm not familiar with the mini morph turbo, but the "turbo" suffix tends to mean volume at the expense of pressure (i.e. they fill MTB type tyres relatively quickly, but struggle going above 80 ish PSI).

Nick1979

Thanks John, it's much clearer now! So it will be "mini morph" for me :-)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's a pretty basic rule that the longer the pump is, the easier and quicker you can pump up your tyres.

Easiest is a good frame-fit pump like the Zefal HPx of the Topeak Road Master Blaster. A size 4 Zefal mounted under the top tube is easier than a size Zefal mounted on the seatstay.

Next best would be a Topeak Road Morph. It's about the same as a small size good frame fit

Mini-pumps and high pressure don't really work well. Most people give up at 70 or 80 psi, just because they've been pumping so long.

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

AHh, often wondered what that little 'tit' was on the back of the headtube... So that'd be for helping secure the pump....

Ohh, actually, there's another little thingy just above the cassette on the seatstay. Another little 'tit', wondering what that is......?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
BARKER: Got any pumps?
CORBETT (getting really fed up): 'And pumps, foot pumps? Come on!
BARKER (surprised he has to ask): Foot pumps!
CORBETT (muttering, as he goes down the shop): Foot pumps. See a foot pump? (He sees one, and picks it up) Tidy up in 'ere.
(He puts the pump down on the counter)
BARKER: No, pumps fer ya feet! Brown pump, size nine!

;):biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
John the Monkey said:
Carry them in a mexican style bandolier, and call yourself the bandito of the roads.

...and when someone tries to help you fix a puncture, say "Patches? We don' need no stinkin' patches..."

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Got some CO2 cartridges, but the gun thingy was shite! Saw my arse last puncture and threw it in a big bramble bush. As soon as the thing got pierced it leaked gas. Horrible fecking thing! (Topeak BTW)

Top Bottom