Pumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monnet

Guru
After a bit of checking after my last post:

Track pump - Blackburn TSP2 £21.50 from ribble.

That leaves more than enough for a reasonable mini pump to take out with you.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
SAnip
I was forced to get a cheapo pump from wilkos for a fiver today, i've got two of them now so you can have one if you like if you send me an sae. It's nowt special, (probably struggle to do 125 psi with it) but it'll get your bike rideable again till you get home and can pump 'em up more with the track pump.
FWIW, at home instead of a track pump i use a battery powered pump (lazy man's pump)

Thanks for the offer Bonj. I'm going to put some money that get for xmas and get a good track pump with the paper round tips, and a good-ish pump for the bike with some money i get for xmas.

I've looked at the Blackburn Mini Air Stick and the Topeak Mini Morph to go on the bike, and maybe the Blackburn TPS2 Sport for at home.
What do you reckon?

GrahamG

Guru
I picked up a decathlon one at a car boot for £3 - it's very good quality and the guage seems to be better than the Halfords one I had before and paid £20 for (about the same new price as the Decathlon).

I've got a topeak mini pump. It's pants - I can get it to about 85psi at which point I'm absolutely knackered.

bonj2

following the unfortunate and pointless demise of my innovations roadair, i've put my axiom inflateair on my frame following the discovery of how damn effective it is at pumping at the weekend.

jashburnham

I use a Park Tools trackpump and carry topeak micro rocket and an innovations air chuck SL CO2 inflator with me on rides. C02 inflators are brilliant, and the cartridges can be had very cheaply from http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk
A 16gm cartridge will inflate a 700x23 to 120 psi in about 2 seconds!

OP
OP
J

Joe24

I bought the pumps at the weekend. I got the Blackburn Airstick for the bike which i like. Cant remember which track pump i got. It works, not bad. It does help though if you know which way the lever needs to be to be locked and unlocked.

bonj2

Joe, how easy is the track pump to attach and detach from your bike's valve?
(i presume presta)? only ask 'cos for my 'home' pump i'm currently using a battery operated pump, which pumps up really well, but is less than ideal due to the fact that (1) its battery is crap so have to swap it for my drill's battery which doesn't fit properly so have to hold it on, but mainly (2) it has to screw on, and it's a pain in the arse to unscrew without risking letting some air out while unscrewing it. so am thinking about a track pump, aswell as another pump for the bike 'cos the axiom inflatair doesn't hold very well onto the bracket i've got.

anybody got an aldi or wilko's track pump? that would be my first port of call...

OP
OP
J

Joe24

The pump isnt too bad to get on the presta valve, and easy to get on the Shreder( dont know how to spell it) valve. It is harder on the front one because i managed to bend the valve because i was trying to put it on went the valve was on lock. It does let abit of air out when you use it on the presta valve, but i think its because i may be doing it abit wrong.

Tynan

Veteran
got the joe blow 11 and it's brill

the shame is that it's so much fun to use but it does a tyre from flat to 120psi in no time at all

once I had s low flat that needed pumping up every single morning, I left fixing it for months and pumped it up every morning with a regular pump, up to hard as too

the new pump feels real good, even after all this time

bonj2

i got a track pump from je james today, looks good but haven't used it yet. It's got a nice pipe, and guage that goes up to 160 so that will be plenty.

still after a pump for the bike, the lbs i got the roadair from said they will "try to include it in the returns - you never know" so i'm dropping it in tomorrow.

but just found a little velcro strap that holds the axiom on securely - so all is good

small fish

I got a Decathlon 'Clever 7000' track pump for £13.99 at the weekend. They had loads in the Stockport branch.

I reckon it's a real bargain - seems really well built and automatically adapts for presta/schrader valves which is neat (and useful cos we have several bikes in the family)
I've only used it once but it was pretty much effortless to top up from 80 - 100psi. Only minor criticism is that the numbers on the guage are quite small.

Top Bottom