Puncture due to hot weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happily, not me!

On holiday but i think it could be warmer back home! I was swimming in the local lake but on the way down to it, I noticed a couple of bikes locked up but sitting in the sun. I thought, "that seat is going to be bloody hot when they use it"

After a period of swimming and sunbathing (in the shade!), my wife and I decided to leave but queued up beside the bikes to by an ice-cream. As we were standing there, there was an almighty pop followed by a rushing of air. I watched as the front tyre deflated rather quickly. No one was near the bike when the tube blew?

Is it possible that the heat actually caused the puncture, it is about 36 degrees here

si_c

Guru
Happily, not me!

On holiday but i think it could be warmer back home! I was swimming in the local lake but on the way down to it, I noticed a couple of bikes locked up but sitting in the sun. I thought, "that seat is going to be bloody hot when they use it"

After a period of swimming and sunbathing (in the shade!), my wife and I decided to leave but queued up beside the bikes to by an ice-cream. As we were standing there, there was an almighty pop followed by a rushing of air. I watched as the front tyre deflated rather quickly. No one was near the bike when the tube blew?

Is it possible that the heat actually caused the puncture, it is about 36 degrees here

Quite possibly, if the bike tyre was pumped up to a high pressure then prolonged exposure to direct sunlight could cause the air pressure to build up a bit and then force the tyre off the rim.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had it happen to one of my bikes once. very hot sunny day, south facing conservatory. Bike in there, suddenly loud bang. Inner tube exploded ripping the tyre in the process.

biking_fox

Guru
Yes - cold morning on a tour. Pumped up tyres good and hard.. Riding along in the sunshine.... Bang. Not riding. Rips the tyre too which makes replacing the tube a bit more awkward.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I remember the tyre of an unattended bike going bang right behind me when I was sitting in a cafe at the start of an audax once. Frightened the life out of me. Mind you I don't think that was the heat. I remember it was a hot day, but this was quite early in the morning.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wonder if that’s what’s caused the puncture on my carbon bike!
It was fine when I put it away in the Asgard maybe a week ago, although puncture discovered on Sunday pre superheat!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In Sicily we took some complementary bikes from our hotel to the volcanic beach and put them down on the black sand. An Italian woman came running over gesticulating that we needed to turn the bikes onto their saddles / handlebars to prevent exactly the problem you describe.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
From my experience this is much more common with latex inner tubes; they don’t seem to take kindly to a bit of heat or direct sunlight.

Top Bottom