Puncture on kids bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_exile

Ok so I've never sorted a puncture before, usually just take it along to the LBS. Decided today to have a crack at it. Seem to have fixed the actual inner tube but is the hole too big on the tyre for this to be truly fixable? I take it it's new tyre time?

Attachments

• WP_20160730_12_34_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160730_12_34_23_Pro.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 69
That tyre is well past it - definitely time for a new one.

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
He's decided that skidding his tyre is great fun, I can see many many repairs over the next couple of years!
If the wheel stops in the same place a lot (like that one looks to but that is quite usual) wearing the same spot then rotate the tyre a bit on the rim (1/4 turn should do it) and re inflate it. This will even out the wear and get the tyre to last a lot longer

This was what I did in about 1971 when my pocket money didn't stretch to sweets and a new tyre once a month. :becool:

My son is 38 now (I was a child bride) but when he was 10 he said to me, "Dad, Dad, me tyres flat."
I said, "Wait till Saturday and we'll go in the garage and I'll show you how to fix it."

I did it at first, then we took the tyre back off and he had a go at it. OK, he nipped the tube and we patched those,
but after a couple more goes, hey! it held air.

You can do things for people.... but it's far better to educate them.
He now thinks nothing of swapping 4 rains to slicks on his track car.
Even his wife can do a "pads & discs" or an "oil change & filter".

Paul G

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My son is 38 now (I was a child bride) but when he was 10 he said to me, "Dad, Dad, me tyres flat."
I said, "Wait till Saturday and we'll go in the garage and I'll show you how to fix it."

I did it at first, then we took the tyre back off and he had a go at it. OK, he nipped the tube and we patched those,
but after a couple more goes, hey! it held air.
I was trying to remember what I did as a child. I don't remember anybody showing me how to fix punctures or fixing them for me, but I also don't remember fixing them myself. I must have punctured many times because I rode my bike a lot for about 4 years until my bike was stolen.

If the wheel stops in the same place a lot (like that one looks to but that is quite usual) wearing the same spot then rotate the tyre a bit on the rim (1/4 turn should do it) and re inflate it. This will even out the wear and get the tyre to last a lot longer

This was what I did in about 1971 when my pocket money didn't stretch to sweets and a new tyre once a month. :becool:

Interesting what you say. I have never given that much thought and always assumed that bald spots are self-propagating and stem from the first skid. I never related them to particular spots on the rim. If you look at the photo you'll see a corresponding spot on the rim where the brake will definitely catch more, and has done so in the past. Obviously the tyre has now moved in relation to the rim but I wonder if such a spot will induce lock-up more than the rest of the rim? I'm chewing on this as we speak. Can you remember if your technique then produced a second and subsequent bald spots on the tyre?
Experimentally it can be proven but I'm past skidding rear tyres. I think it is some kind of sacrilege and there's a special corner in hell for skidders, right next to teetotalers and the anti-profanity brigade.
Of course I skidded as a kid but I'm now perfect and won't do it again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Interesting what you say. I have never given that much thought and always assumed that bald spots are self-propagating and stem from the first skid. I never related them to particular spots on the rim. If you look at the photo you'll see a corresponding spot on the rim where the brake will definitely catch more, and has done so in the past. Obviously the tyre has now moved in relation to the rim but I wonder if such a spot will induce lock-up more than the rest of the rim? I'm chewing on this as we speak. Can you remember if your technique then produced a second and subsequent bald spots on the tyre?
Experimentally it can be proven but I'm past skidding rear tyres. I think it is some kind of sacrilege and there's a special corner in hell for skidders, right next to teetotalers and the anti-profanity brigade.
Of course I skidded as a kid but I'm now perfect and won't do it again.
Yep, I could get 4 or more 'flat spots' on the back tyre of my first full size bike, the trick is to catch it before you're down to the canvas. It was the height of cool to be able to slide the back wheel on dirt/gravel as a 11-14yr old on an old 26 inch wheel bike. I also think we invented the concept of MTBs in around 1973 with 'Cowhorn' bars and 'block tread' tyres (sold as cyclocross tyres back then) but with 26x1 3/8 wheels (Steel rims and Fibrax brake pads)

EDIT- The ding in the rim might have been 'helpful' in stopping the wheel especially in the wet. :whistle:

I was trying to remember what I did as a child. I don't remember anybody showing me how to fix punctures or fixing them for me, but I also don't remember fixing them myself. I must have punctured many times because I rode my bike a lot for about 4 years until my bike was stolen.

I would recommend a packet of memory mints.....
if only I could remember where to get them, or indeed what they do.

Paul G

raleighnut

Legendary Member
He may not find it such fun when new tyre comes out of pocket money!
This was what I did as a 9yr old, worked for me and saved pocket money

ricknmorty28

Ok so I've never sorted a puncture before, usually just take it along to the LBS. Decided today to have a crack at it. Seem to have fixed the actual inner tube but is the hole too big on the tyre for this to be truly fixable? I take it it's new tyre time?

I would recommend a new tyre

Top Bottom