Puncture........or not!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbo891

Riding home tonight I heard that awful noise of hissing. I swear i rode over something as I heard a pop and then the usual air hissing noise. I stopped to check tyres and they were fine! WTF!

I carried on half a mile to home, got home pumped both tyres up to max and left it. Gone back to check tyres and they are both rock hard!

Could a puncture self seal? There has been no treatment to the tubes in the past.

Very odd

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Might you have run over an over weight puff adder? It would explain the pop and hiss!

In my experience punctures keep going once they get going. It's a mystery. With a treated tube you nearly know there has been an issue.

I've had something similar happen to me before. The 'pop' was a piece of bark / wood chip, flicking up of of the tyre, the hiss, was the bit of wood chip getting stuck between the rim and the brake block. That was a relief, 25 miles into a 170 mile ride, I could have done without a visit from the puncture fairy.

OP
OP
R

robbo891

Lol at some of these comments. Still none of the wiser but I commuted again today and tyres are still spot on so it wasn't a puncture! The bark is interesting! Guess i will never know....

Top Bottom