Puncture Predicament

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

HormyAJP

Just to let you all know, that seems to have solved the problem. I stuck them up to 80 and had no problems today.

I did however have a pump problem at the start. My hand pump was extremely dificult to use at these high pressures and consequently I torn the inner tube around the valve. I went out and bought a decent large pump with hose to get round the problem, but it does pose an interesting problem of what to do on tour (as Dougster said).

I'm planning on going up the the Outer Hebrides this Summer and I don't particularly want to have to take the large pump, but I suspect there won't be many bike shops out there so I may have little choice. There's no way I can get the tyres anywhere past 60 with the hand pump without risking bursting the inner tube again. Is this just something tourers have to live with or do any seasoned pro's have any handy tips?

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

jags

Guru
pumps are not a problem,get used to the feel of the tyre when inflated to correct pressure then go and buy either a zefal.hpx or blackburn both frame pumps both excellent you wont have problems.

AlanO

Topeak mountain morph is a great pump that gets around all the "what do I do if a track pump is not handy" problems. It is like a mini track pump, so you can put one end on the floor and pump against that. It easily allows you to pump 100psi plus. It says 160psi on the blurb, but I have never taken it that high.

On your particular problem. I am 14 stone and when fully loaded for touring really need to keep at least 90psi in 700cx25 tyres to make sure I don't get punctures. I have changed 700cx37 to help prevent punctures. I had to have a wider rim to accommodate the new tyre width.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I was going to suggest the Topeak road morph, which is similar to the one that AlanO suggested but has road in the name, the main differance is that it comes with a gauge so you ken when to stop pumping...

ASC1951

Guru
HormyAJP said:
I stuck them up to 80 and had no problems today.

I did however have a pump problem at the start. My hand pump was extremely dificult to use at these high pressures and consequently I torn the inner tube around the valve.

I'm planning on going up the the Outer Hebrides this Summer and I don't particularly want to have to take the large pump,

There's no way I can get the tyres anywhere past 60 with the hand pump without risking bursting the inner tube again.
80 is still a tad on the low side, particularly with a load. I have mine at 90 - 100 generally, which with my track pump equals pumping them until I can only get minimal movement on top of the tyre with strong thumb pressure. As HairyJock says, if that is a bit buzzy try a wider back tyre but still at the right pressure.

It's very difficult to get up to 100 psi with a hand pump. Really they are to keep you mobile until you get home, although a good one will keep them high enough for a tour until you pass your next bike shop. I have never come across a shop that minded you borrowing a track pump.

If you're going on tour you do need a good quality hand pump. When you say you "bought a decent large pump with hose to get round the problem", I assume you are talking about a stick-it-on-the-floor track pump. If you mean one of those old fashioned hand pumps with a foot of waggly hose threaded at both ends, in my experience they are almost useless, not least because the hose will leak well below the pressures you need.

There is a knack to using hand pumps. The trick is to stop the pump wriggling about, because you need both hands to get the high pressure. My method is to have the pump horizontal and rest the nose* on something solid like a wall, with the wheel balanced on it by its valve. The wall lets me use a lot of force and I don't hold the wheel at all.

The Hebrides is a great tour but bike shops are indeed in short supply. Fortunately the roads are also fairly free of glass, metal and hawthorn clippings. I didn't get a pxxxxure all week. My surprise was that it was so hot that my wheels started picking up road tar on Harris.

*i.e. the pump's, not mine, although we all have our little habits.

goo_stewart

I have a little tip for you to keep your punctures down. Take a used inner tube, slit it along the seam all the way round the tyre. Wrap around the new inner so it is between the new inner and the outer wall. This acts as a barrier and doubles up your protection. There is no loss of performance. Try it, it will cut down your punctures on the road. A bloke in Cambodia taught me and apparently it is common in SEA.

Top Bottom