Puncture Preparedness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The way I do that is to mark a V on the tyre to align with the valve, and mark a rotation arrow on the tube, so with direction and position defined on both tube and tyre I can always place them together and locate the debris. Otherwise tyres tend to slip round the rim whilst you're faffing with them, and tubes don't always go back the same way round.

I line up the maker's name with the valve when fitting. Partly for this reason, partly just for religious/superstitious reasons*.

Actually what I normally do is fit the tyre, notice that I haven't lined it up, swear a lot, get a cup of coffee, remove the tyre and fit it again.

*Yes, I even do it for tubeless, where there is no point at all

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I line up the maker's name with the valve when fitting. Partly for this reason, partly just for religious/superstitious reasons*.
<snip>

I may have done something similar when doing a bit of swapping round of tyres this afternoon. On the Schwalbes the 'P' is in roughly the same place on both sides
Giant Updated 20-03-24 - Tyres (2).jpg

While on the Vittorias the size mark on one side exactly matches the location of the Vittoria logo on the other side
Triban Updated 20-03-24 - Tyres (1).jpg

Thus making it easier to locate the cause of any flat should one occur.

Gwylan

Veteran
I may have done something similar when doing a bit of swapping round of tyres this afternoon. On the Schwalbes the 'P' is in roughly the same place on both sides
View attachment 725058
While on the Vittorias the size mark on one side exactly matches the location of the Vittoria logo on the other side
View attachment 725059

Lining up the logo on front and rear wheels is a time to seek professional help

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
View attachment 725058
View attachment 725059

Those valves are just a tad long! :whistle:

presta

Guru
I line up the maker's name with the valve when fitting.
The reason I make my own mark is so that I don't have to remember which bit of text I was using as a reference.
Lining up the logo on front and rear wheels is a time to seek professional help
Not if you want to be able to find punctures it isn't.

grldtnr

Thing is it takes time and wisdom of knowledge to build up a toolkit,.....
Then some scrotes nicks it of your bike whilst you do you domestic chores in the town.
It's most annoying, have had it happen a few times in Sarfend
fair 'city'.
All those little knick knacks , odds & sods that come in useful when something drops off or breaks, you need to start from scratch.
I now carry it round with me if I use the bike to town, otherwise I walk !
* By the way, I've used a monster munch crisp bag as a 'boot' with the one eyed monster winking away, got me to a rail stn to bail out home, remember when we didn't have Sunday trading, had to get the train.

Top Bottom