Puncture Prevention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Winchy

Does anyone have anyideas how I can prevent punchures on my bike?
I have tried the obvious, avoiding sharp objects and keeping my tyres at the correct pressure.

But after replacing my innertube and then having another puncture within two weeks I am getting fed up with them.

In my front wheel I have got a tyre that i have cut the tyre walls and the tread off and put that inside the tyre to create a thicker tyre. I have also got one of these slime liners and one of the smaller Smile tube sealant. With all of these I still get punctures.;)

Any advise please?

Thanks Very Much

Adam

Blue

Legendary Member
I presume you checked to see what caused the punctures. What did you find?

If we know the cause of the punctures we may be able to advise, although sometimes a run of bad luck can happen.

OP
OP
W

Winchy

I've never found anything abart from thorns.

I can remember when i was cycling and found a thorn in my tyre. It wasn't causing a problem, until i decided to pull it out (hiss...). Now I know not to do that again.

gkilner

Winchy said:

I can remember when i was cycling and found a thorn in my tyre. It wasn't causing a problem, until i decided to pull it out (hiss...). Now I know not to do that again.

I've nevber been a fan of slime, it has never worked for me, it just seems to make a mess and makes it very difficult to repair a puncture with a patch due to all the slime that has leaked out.

Good quality puncture resistant tyres are my favoured option, I've had Shwalbe Marathon Plus and now Continental Contact. I've had one puncture in about 3,000 mls with the conti's, never had a puncture with the Marathon Plus tyres, but these are quite heavy and might slow you down slightly.

Blue

Legendary Member
Thorns can be a bugger - always give freshly cut hedges a wide berth. I have been known to carry my bike for a 100yds along country lanes when I have come upon farmers cutting hedges.

You mention that you keep your tyres at the correct pressure. Sometimes pumping-up to more that the suggested minimum will help keep thorns out. Some tyres have a kevlar layer to help.

If you leave a thorn or bit of glass/grit in a tyre tread it will work its way in and cause a puncture. Remove such items after a ride when you get home - if the tyre goes down at that stage you have the luxury of being able to do the repair at your convenience!!

OP
OP
W

Winchy

Thanks folks,

My next shop will be to get some prices for the recommendations

Thanks again

LondonCommuter

I started cycling just over a year ago and had lots of punctures (mainly bits of glass, 1 was a tack) until I changed to Marathon Plus and then had none. I've now changed bike and my new bike came with Marathon tyres. After a month, I've not yet had a puncture but did have some embedded shards of glass at the weekend, so I think the Marathon Plus may be worthwhile. Time will tell ..............

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Get some Marathon plus's :eek:. I tried those slime liners twice, the first and the last time ;)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Winchy said:
Does anyone have anyideas how I can prevent punchures on my bike?
k turner said:
Doing supper at about 8pm and the cats and dog came screaming out of the lounge and there was a loud hissing like a kettle, electrics, snake gone wrong or something. Rushed in there and my 2 day old bike had a front wheel blowout all on its own. :ohmy:
... so you can't even leave it in the garage/shed/bedroom :biggrin:

k turner

Hi Schoosh. Dont want to keep opening the garden gate, because that will let the dog out.

Interesting thread about the slime, sounds like Marathon tyres then. How much are they?

a guy at work constantly gets punctures, even after buying kevlar reinforced tyres. his bike is worth 'bout 900 quid, mine around 600, i dont get punctures!!!! nice... but then, i also use chain oil, and he's just stopped using wd40!!!! (due to my advice)

i think he aims deliberately for glass to see how good his tyres are, or are not as the case may be..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Winchy said:

I've done that with a drawing pin too on one of the kids bikes. I second the Marathon's and I've got the ones just down from the Plus ones.

Perry

Look at these photos of my tyre after a crash, it still didn't go flat.

I was using Armadillos by Specialized - £19.99 from Evans.

I bought two yesterday for my new bike.

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Top Bottom