Puncture, puncture, puncture .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

HLaB said:
Depends on the tyre, rider etc.

My utility bike has done over 7000miles with 700x37c conti contacts, the rear is now beginning to show its age but (touch wood) I've had no p'tures in tyres yet; I'll bin the rear when I do.
The last set of tyres on the road bike (23mm front, 25mm rear, conti 4 seasons) got about 3700 miles, no p'tures but on inspection I decided to replace them.
The current rear got around 4300 (conti 4 seasons) but the rear did start to p'ture frequently; I've just moved the front to the rear and temporarily swapped the front of another bike (1500miles) until the replacement arrives (a 22mm conti grand prix 09).
I'm a light'ish rider however (last check I was 135lbs), I've heard of some folk getting a lot less or a bit more.

Mine are 700x32c tyres - the ones that came with the bike from new, so nothing special. I'm not exactly a lightweight rider either, so the rear tyre has had it's fair share of punishement :angel::biggrin: So probably 3000 miles is reasonable enough :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
my bike eats rear tyres but they're fairly lightweight 23s and I'm 14st+ with a pannier riding in London traffic, I've totalled new tyres within a week with a couple of full on emergency stops, I dream of wearing one out with wear and tear rather that cutting them to bits and flat spotting them

Tynan

Veteran
just patched a tube, it's clearly the old man of the three I carry

11th patch tonight on the same tube! beat that

and the tyre itself has a piece of old tyre patched over the inside of a rip in the sidewall, a just small enough one it seems after six rides following a great deal of squinting and tut tutting at the weekend

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Tynan said:
my bike eats rear tyres but they're fairly lightweight 23s and I'm 14st+ with a pannier riding in London traffic, I've totalled new tyres within a week with a couple of full on emergency stops, I dream of wearing one out with wear and tear rather that cutting them to bits and flat spotting them
ditto. replacing a rear tyre after around 2,000 miles :biggrin:

Top Bottom