Puncture, puncture, puncture .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dondare said:
Take the flint out.
Superglue the hole.
Honest?
I never thought of that. But then, there was no such stuff as superglue in my youth! Does superglue stick rubber (or kevlar, or whatever it is)? I know ordinary rubber solution doesn't work.

dondare

Über Member
661-Pete said:
Honest?
I never thought of that. But then, there was no such stuff as superglue in my youth! Does superglue stick rubber (or kevlar, or whatever it is)? I know ordinary rubber solution doesn't work.

Superglue sticks rubber. It probably won't rejoin the kevlar fibres if they're cut, but it will close the hole.
I dunno if it works on inner-tubes. Or if gaffer tape does as a patch.

661-Pete said:
I very rarely find any bits of metal in the tyre, I can't remember the last time metal caused a puncture....

Funny you say that...twice over the last few years I have had a nail and screw enter the rear tyre.Not at the same time.The first time was when I had fitted the thorn resistant inner tube the night before and was feeling pretty smug.The second time was in the greentyre with the screw and I had to unscrew it out of said tyre.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh 5 pages of fight............ ahah ...............

I don't overly check my tyres at all.....just check the bike and if I spot something dodgy sort it.

I also don't get running Marathon tyres..FFS the weight........ I commute on 23mm Conti GP 4 Seasons.... only had 2 punctures on the road in a year, one was a piece of metal, one was a snake bite on a new tyre. Life is about compromise........

I hate heavy tyres...... the Conti's are about 220g's each... my Mich Pro Race are 200g's on the other 2 road bikes..... tyres make a huge difference to how a bike handles and feels.... certainly does on a car too........

I thought of the superglue thingy...cant see it would work too well in a small hole though.Need to check my front tyre it has loads of cuts in it.Armadillo.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
hackbike 666 said:
I thought of the superglue thingy...cant see it would work too well in a small hole though.Need to check my front tyre it has loads of cuts in it.Armadillo.

Surely using superglue on the tyre, it would harden and then itself risk puncturing the inner tube :ohmy:? How about clear silicon sealer or a large dab of repair glue? If the hole or slit were that big I would replace tyre or place a piece of the old tyre beneath the cut/hole to protect the tube.

NigC

Is 3000 a good distance before needing to replace a tyre?

I haven't had a puncture for quite a time now, but I did have to change the rear tyre a couple of weeks ago after I noticed a large piece of the rubber flapping about :ohmy: The front is is still in pretty good nick though.

I agree that you really can't avoid every little piece of grit and often find tiny sharp stones in my tyres despite my best efforts to steer clear. It's the rear that suffers the most - why is that? Is it due to the extra weight it has to support or simply because you can quickly steer the front away from trouble, but it's not so easy with the rear?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
brokenbetty said:
No, but some cyclists people enjoy shared jokes. It's a human thing. Probably easier to understand if you have a sense of humour.

:cheers:

661-Pete said:
How many people, I wonder, look carefully at the stuff they dig out of their tyres on their routine inspection .................

I very rarely find any bits of metal in the tyre, I can't remember the last time metal caused a puncture....

My last UDE turned out to be a small splinter of metal - there is no way I could have seen it based on size - but that was 14 months ago - on normal Marathon's rather than the pluses.

NigC said:

I think it depends on the tyre ... I've got to 5500 so far ... they are looking fairly cut up but I inspect at infrequent times and remove all the stuff in there. I will replace them the minute I start to get more visits from the Fairy!

And you must have respect for all fairies :ohmy:... on farmland in NI belonging to my parents/other relations there are still places left for the fairies in the middle of the fields (OK they are not what you call highly productive land:biggrin:)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
fossyant said:
Oh 5 pages of fight............ ahah ...............

I don't overly check my tyres at all.....just check the bike and if I spot something dodgy sort it.

I also don't get running Marathon tyres..FFS the weight........ I commute on 23mm Conti GP 4 Seasons.... only had 2 punctures on the road in a year, one was a piece of metal, one was a snake bite on a new tyre. Life is about compromise........

I hate heavy tyres...... the Conti's are about 220g's each... my Mich Pro Race are 200g's on the other 2 road bikes..... tyres make a huge difference to how a bike handles and feels.... certainly does on a car too........

I totally agree with the slow ride on the M+ although I find it strange that some peeps experience no diference at all. IME they definately slow me down.
My commute is through very remote country lanes that snake across the North downs so they're permanently littered with flint, thorns and other nasties though, if I was commuting through town, I don't know if I'd use them although the luxury of being "puncture proof" woud be very tempting.

NigC said:

I haven't had a puncture for quite a time now, but I did have to change the rear tyre a couple of weeks ago after I noticed a large piece of the rubber flapping about :ohmy: The front is is still in pretty good nick though.

I agree that you really can't avoid every little piece of grit and often find tiny sharp stones in my tyres despite my best efforts to steer clear. It's the rear that suffers the most - why is that? Is it due to the extra weight it has to support or simply because you can quickly steer the front away from trouble, but it's not so easy with the rear?

I think the scrubbing on the back is due to the weight, although I guess the fact that it's the drive wheel must have some bearing too.
I don't think my rear tyre will make it to 3000 miles, although as above, my commute is very flinty.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
guess the fact that it's the drive wheel must have some bearing too

Sure does.

The drive tyre gets pushed harder onto the road than the front, which causes it to embed more sharp objects. The front is more is likely to flick the object away.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Panter said:
I think the scrubbing on the back is due to the weight, although I guess the fact that it's the drive wheel must have some bearing too.
I don't think my rear tyre will make it to 3000 miles, although as above, my commute is very flinty.

There is a lot more weight over the rear wheel compared to the front - rider's weight plus any weight in rear panniers or stuff in your rear jersey pockets .......

NigC said:
Depends on the tyre, rider etc.

My utility bike has done over 7000miles with 700x37c conti contacts, the rear is now beginning to show its age but (touch wood) I've had no p'tures in tyres yet; I'll bin the rear when I do.
The last set of tyres on the road bike (23mm front, 25mm rear, conti 4 seasons) got about 3700 miles, no p'tures but on inspection I decided to replace them.
The current rear got around 4300 (conti 4 seasons) but the rear did start to p'ture frequently; I've just moved the front to the rear and temporarily swapped the front of another bike (1500miles) until the replacement arrives (a 22mm conti grand prix 09).
I'm a light'ish rider however (last check I was 135lbs), I've heard of some folk getting a lot less or a bit more.

Top Bottom