Puncture, puncture, puncture .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
661-Pete said:
No. :hello: The best you can hope for is a dramatically reduced frequency of punctures. The same is true of any so-called 'puncture-resistant' brand.

Well, obv, no tyre is going to guarantee a completely puncture-free life, but I've worn two sets out on my commuter with the only unscheduled deflation being a deliberate one when a screw was pushed into the top of my front tyre at Borough High Street. I suspect that was a ploy to get me to leave the bike so they had more time to steal it.

I have Marathons or Marathon Plus on:

Tandem x2
My commuter/tourer
Partner's commuter/tourer
Fixed (rear)
Son's tourer
and probably more besides.
I can't recall a puncture on any of those.

The only way you can eliminate punctures altogether, is to run solid tyres ;)...

*shudder*

Rewind said:
Punctures exist

Hi Rhythm Thief, guess who finally got round to signing up on Cycle Chat???

Rewind

Hello! Fancy seeing you here.;)

Wolf04

Crankarm said:
.......... puncture, puncture, puncture, puncture, puncture, puncture ......

It's not something done by a fairy :laugh:. Are some cyclists so lacking in confidence in their tube changing or PUNCTURE repairing abilities or the robustness of their tyres and tubes or are they so myopic that they regularly ride through all the glass, nails and debris on the roads and paths, that they have to use stupid euphemisms such as p******e FAIRY.

It is not a visit from a p******e fairy but the fact that you road over something sharp such as glass, nail or stone that gave you a PUNCTURE.

Why would a fairy who is traditionally a bringer of good fortune give you PUNCTURE?

At least get it right. Fairies do good things. Witches, ghouls, devils, gremlins and trolls do bad things.

So please start calling punctures punctures.

:smile:

Ah, the words of a Dark Fairie no doubt! :biggrin:

dondare

Über Member
fossyant said:
Marathons = horrible heavy things...... :biggrin:

Rugged, trouble-free (once you've got the bloody things on the rim), easy-rolling, giving a comfortable ride (compared to armadillos, anyway) and probably lighter than green tyres.

Redvers

I love punctures.

They remind me not to take my bike or cycling for granted.

They remind me of why for the past 18 months of cycling without a puncture, I have carried around a replacement tube and a mini pump.

They remind me that the Conti GP4000S is one of the best tyres ever made.

But most of all they remind me that if I hadn’t been delayed by a puncture I may well have met with that white van driving moron at the next junction who could so easily have flattened all my tyres forever :biggrin:

brokenbetty

Über Member
Crankarm said:
Are some cyclists so lacking in confidence in their tube changing or PUNCTURE repairing abilities or the robustness of their tyres and tubes or are they so myopic that they regularly ride through all the glass, nails and debris on the roads and paths, that they have to use stupid euphemisms such as p******e FAIRY.

No, but some cyclists people enjoy shared jokes. It's a human thing. Probably easier to understand if you have a sense of humour.

dondare

Über Member
Redvers said:
I love punctures.

They remind me not to take my bike or cycling for granted.

They remind me of why for the past 18 months of cycling without a puncture, I have carried around a replacement tube and a mini pump.

They remind me that the Conti GP4000S is one of the best tyres ever made.

But most of all they remind me that if I hadn’t been delayed by a puncture I may well have met with that white van driving moron at the next junction who could so easily have flattened all my tyres forever :biggrin:

?!

Before I discovered SMPs punctures ruined my rides and considerably perturbed anybody within earshot. My gentlemanly nature has only emerged since I started using them.

I rarely get punctures.

Now I am scared to go out....

dondare said:
Rugged, trouble-free (once you've got the bloody things on the rim), easy-rolling, giving a comfortable ride (compared to armadillos, anyway) and probably lighter than green tyres.
dondare said:
Before I discovered SMPs punctures ruined my rides and considerably perturbed anybody within earshot. My gentlemanly nature has only emerged since I started using them.
As it happens, I would quite likely switch to Marathon Plus's if only they came in my size (700x23c) but I believe they don't - the smallest available AFAIK is 700x25c. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? At any rate, 25mm don't fit in my frame - I know that because I once tried to fit 25mm Armadillos bought by mistake! The wheel would turn OK but clearance was so tight that the tiniest bit of dirt would get trapped and start rubbing.

So if SMP's at 25mm have the same diameter as Spesh 'dillos at 25mm, I'll have the same problem with those. Unless anyone can advise me otherwise.

I reckon I'll just have to stay with the 'dillos. :ohmy:

661-Pete said:
As it happens, I would quite likely switch to Marathon Plus's if only they came in my size (700x23c) but I believe they don't - the smallest available AFAIK is 700x25c. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? At any rate, 25mm don't fit in my frame - I know that because I once tried to fit 25mm Armadillos bought by mistake! The wheel would turn OK but clearance was so tight that the tiniest bit of dirt would get trapped and start rubbing.

So if SMP's at 25mm have the same diameter as Spesh 'dillos at 25mm, I'll have the same problem with those. Unless anyone can advise me otherwise.

I reckon I'll just have to stay with the 'dillos. :ohmy:

The new Durano Plus is available in 23c.

potsy

Rambler
661-Pete said:
Thanks, I'll look into that option - didn't know about it. :angry:
I've been riding with the Durano+ on my Secteur for a few weeks now and have had no problems at all,today was the 1st wet ride and they coped very nicely.
Certainly lighter than the M+ though the protection belt is obviously slightly thinner they should be extremely pu*cture proof compared to most 23mm tyres.
M+ are only available down to 25mm and these will be much bulkier than the Armadillo's too so clearance would be none existent I would have thought.

Top Bottom