Puncture repair kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For nearly 2 decades (crumbs, I feel really old saying that) I have been using puncture repair kits from Morrisons bought for around a £1 a time. These have always performed faultlessly and include feather edged patches in a variety of sizes. After a couple of punctures earlier in the year I finished off my kit (probably had it about 5 years) so asked my wife to pop into Morrisons on her way to work to buy a replacement as we don't normally shop there. I stressed the importance of feather edged patches to her but when she came home it was a cheapo fit with the square patches cut from sheets of rubber. I can't remember the story now but it was something like she couldn't find them in Morrisons or didn't have time so called at the Co-op corner shop instead.

Obviously I could see any grumbling on my part was not going to be appreciated so I thanked her profusely and told her she was a gem for doing that for me and put the kit in my panniers just in case the worst happened. I had 2 punctures at once last week so now have two tubes that need fixing (I always fix rather than bin, have never had a problem due to patches). I need to fix them asap as I have put my two spare tubes on the bike to keep me going.

My question is; does anyone know if Morrisons still do these brilliant, cheap kits before I make a wasted trip or if not, which/where from are the best feather edged puncture repair kits?

Maz

Guru
So did the patches your wife bought for you do the job?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I haven't used them yet and I am trying to avoid it (I don't know why but I just prefer the feather edge patches as school boy experience showed that the square cut out type often lift and peel). I only carry this kit around 'just in case' and with 2 tubes about my persons I would never expect to need to use patches while out on the road but 2 simultaneous punctures front and rear last week has made me rethink!

Fast_Mark

I've used both kinds of patches over the years and never had a problem. That said, on every occasion I usually apply a little bit of vulcanising rubber to the edge of the patch and chalk the repair prior to putting it back in the tyre.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I buy the sheets of rubber patch compound in squares and cut them down to suit my inner tubes as i find most patch kits tend to come with patches that are to big for road inner tubes, cheaper as well.

I do not have any problems with lifting

Thankfully, I'm no expert on repair kits, I usually just buy one occasionally from a lbs; I think for me they have always come with a feathered edge. The only trouble I've ever had was when I didn't use a lbs, I got a whole lot in a LIDL tool kit, the patches were OK but the vulcanising glue was rubbish.

albion

Guru
I buy sheets too.With those tiny tubes of glue in patch kits are also being a bit sheet its more logical to buy a full size one and just cut your own.

Top Bottom