Tyres 700 x 40c Puncture proof recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
DOH! Its actually 700 x 40c, look twice type once..... :whistle:

On my new Raleigh Motus I want to upgrade the tyres, Schwalbe unfortunately don't seem to do a 700 x 42c in their Marathon range. My other choice is going to be Continental Contact Plus which I've used before and would be happy with. But.....

Are there any others you'd recommend? Cheers!

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Go tubeless like the G One all-round. They do a 40mm. The ride comfort will be far superior than Marathon range. Tubeless is pretty much bombproof of you use a decent sealant of the correct amount

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Probably worth giving the originals a fair crack of the whip tbh; while my gravel bike's had it's fair share of punctures due to the terrain it's used on (yielding mainly pinch-punctures from large rocks / holes or piercing from thorns) the road bike's covered 1800 miles with no punctures; the tourer around 500 miles also with none and the utility hack (which runs £8 Decathlon tyres) having maybe one puncture in 800 miles..

The ones that are fitted my well be perfectly adiquate for your needs ;)

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Go tubeless like the G One all-round. They do a 40mm. The ride comfort will be far superior than Marathon range. Tubeless is pretty much bombproof of you use a decent sealant of the correct amount
I'll have to price that up, I'm limited on budget for a while but will look what they come in at. I've never gone tubeless before so a little apprehensive but not adverse to it.

Probably worth giving the originals a fair crack of the whip tbh; while my gravel bike's had it's fair share of punctures due to the terrain it's used on (yielding mainly pinch-punctures from large rocks / holes or piercing from thorns) the road bike's covered 1800 miles with no punctures; the tourer around 500 miles also with none and the utility hack (which runs £8 Decathlon tyres) having maybe one puncture in 800 miles..

The ones that are fitted my well be perfectly adiquate for your needs 😉

Could be, they've done 160ish miles no issues. I may sit on this for a while I just have a preference for 'puncture proof'.

Plain Marathon ride better than the super tough Plus version.
You dont need to match up 42mm exactly, and also the designation and actual dimention can vary with brand and model.

I'll have to look at the full range, I spotted upto 38c, then there seemed to be a jump to 47c. I've used the 47c's before and they are balloon like for riding on but I couldn't get them to fit in the space I had 🤨

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Not in your list of requirements in your OP 🙃

It isn't 😉 But I've used one of two types of tyres for pretty much last 10 years so want to look at as many alternatives as poss.

gbb

Legendary Member
Marathons (can't remember which, Plus I think ) on my carrera e. Suffered a few punctures on the standard tyres it came with, maybe just one puncture on the marathons in 3000 miles.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Marathon Supreme's been discontinued.

That link above says in stock but that's probably the last of them by the sound of it.
Marathons (can't remember which, Plus I think ) on my carrera e. Suffered a few punctures on the standard tyres it came with, maybe just one puncture on the marathons in 3000 miles.

Yeah the Marathon Plus and Continental Contacts I've been using have been very reliable.

I have a Motus and have a Marathon on the back so you can use them

On the front I have Continental tour reflex thingy
puncture protection on the continental used to be fine but is getting less now that the tread is getting a bit worn - but it has been fine since I moved it from the back to the front

The Marathon is doing fine on the back

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
DOH! Its actually 700 x 40c, look twice type once..... :whistle:

Going to have a look again at the Schwalbe Marathons 38c as I know they are a bit bulkier than other 38c's, though for the time being I'm sticking with the original tyre I've decided.

Top Bottom