Puncture Repair Patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I've been using Park patches for several years; I'm just coming to the end of a job lot I bought about 13 years ago :eek: when a LBS closed down. Very rare that I've had a problem with them though. Maybe I'm just lucky. I still use rubber solution & patches though; depends where the hole on the tube is. The rubber solution is at least five years old and still okay :thumbsup: - used it today, although there isn't much left - ! The patches I DO avoid are Leeches,as they aren't much good for tyres running at much over 50 - 60 psi.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've found wrapping the opened tube of solution tightly in cling film helps prolong it's life.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I carry a spare tube (to be used for the first puncture) and the Parks' peel & stick for additional punctures on the road. BUT, I only consider those patches to be temporary. I put on proper patches when I get home. I've had those peel & stick patches slip and fail, sometimes after a couple thousand miles. They are just not a permanent repair.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
the edge will abrade right through the tube. This can be seen with vinyl tyre liners which cause more punctures than they prevent.

I've experienced exactly what you say a couple of times. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say they cause more punctures than they prevent, though. I wish I knew for sure. Did they save me 5-10 punctures for each one that they caused? I'd like to hear more comments from people who've used tyre liners.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If cost of patches is an issue then you must be getting a LOT of punctures, or running a puncture repair business.

If you want to be a real cheapskate, cut up an old inner for patches, sand it, and apply glue to both the patch and the tube to be fixed, and let it go tacky. I used to do this decades ago. I seem to remember that it worked.

As to tubes of glue drying out, the tube in my repair kit was fine a couple of weeks ago and I first opened it, and last used it, about 18 months ago.

On the road I carry self adhesives in case both my spare tubes get punctured. I've never had to use them but have on more than one occasion donated a packet to a stranded cyclist at the roadside.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've never really experienced rubber solution going off. I'd say to only squeeze the tube from the non-opening end to make sure there is no air in it, put it on to your finger before applying to the tube to avoid the risk of any rubber particles or dust getting into the solution and wipe it clean before putting the lid back on.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having just finished a five day tour – two of us on loaded road bikes – with several miles of freshly cut hedge debris along the way and no punctures, I do wonder what you and we are doing differently.

froze

Über Member
I'm confused, you're complaining your getting frequent flats but you want to talk about patches? Patches won't prevent or slow down punctures from happening. But you said patches so I'll play. I have used nothing but glueless patches for the last 20 or more years, and the only time I had a failure was when I used a cheap brand, os I only use Park or Specialized glueless patches.

If you go this route if done correctly they will last the life of the tube. The correct way to do glueless patches is to what you would normally do with a glue on patch, you first buff the tube in an area slightly larger than the patch; wipe the area you just sanded with an alcohol pad; peel off the backing but only touching the smallest area of the patch as possible, apply the patch, press the patch on as hard as you can for 30 seconds, look at the patch to find frosty areas, if there are any repress those areas. No more dried glue tube, but you should buy fresh patches every year just to be safe that the adhesive doesn't go bad.

Top Bottom