puncture repairs failing on 16inch tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
I've always had road bikes and always mended punctures.

I've just got a Brompton and have had 3 goes at mending a puncture ( caused by a spoke head in the rim). The patches just won't stop it leaking. Wierd.
Its a Schwalbe tube and I've sorted the spoke problem . Fails beyond 60 psi or leaks out overnight.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Is it failing at the same place? Seems like it may be a dodgy puncture repair kit or iffy pack of glueless patches?

I've never noticed a material difference between a 16/18/24/26/700 tube that would explain failure based on diameter.

Is it on a seam in the tube? I've had problems properly sealing a hole right by a ridge in the rubber before now.

Reactions: mjr

cheys03

Veteran
Never had a problem patching a Brompton tube due to it's size with standard patches and vulcanising glue. The old standard blue rim tape was known to cause problems, usually fixed with 10mm Velox to replace it. If it's a recent model with the double walled rims and yellow tape, that's much improved by reputation and experience. If you've not already dunked it in a bowl or water or used foam to find the leak I'd give it a go. You may be dealing with more than one hole or a leaky valve.

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Already decided on the Velox tape and got a new tube, just perplexed by the failed repair. It's the same type of repair kit I've always used.
The only theory i have is that although the hole isn't huge, but it is a cut rather than a tiny hole, it's too much pressure for the patch. Never mind, when SJS get round to sending me the Velox I'm in business.

Top Bottom