Punctures x4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boltsy74

Regular
Been riding for about 6 months now, and have truly caught the bug, but in my last 5 rides I've had 4 punctures, after having only 2 in the previous 6 months. I've bought some new innertubes, and the valve doesn't seem as long as others, and it's always the back wheel. Completely baffled what's happening, or am I just having a run of bad luck!!!

I'm also struggling to fix the punctures, always seem to be right on the seam, and difficult to get patches on, can anyone reccomend what's best to use to fix punctures.
Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question, but its starting to spoil my cycling, worrying when the next punctures coming.

Thanks Paul

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The most important thing is to make sure you have got rid of whatever it was that caused the puncture. I had 3 punctures in quick succession because I didn't spot the tiny shard of glass in the tyre. Small enough not to penetrate the tube when inflating it, but big enough to get through after a couple of miles.

If you've checked that, then also check that it's not a spoke pushing through the rim - unusual, but it does happen. You'll be able to tell because the hole will be on the inner side of the tube rather than the outer or the side.

For fixing punctures, I find the best thing is to carry a couple of spare tubes, then you can quickly swap the holed tube for a new one and be on your way, and patch the holed one when you get home.
It can be tricky on the seam - rub the area down with sandpaper to try and get the seam flush with the tube.

Finally, it might be worth investing in some puncture resistant tyres. I highly rate Schwalbe Marathon+ tyres - 2 years now without a puncture (touch wood)

Paul J

Make sure you check your tyres well as benb suggests. I personally use slime innertubes and haven't had a puncture that has made me have to stop and repair on the side of the road. I'm sure theres a reason some cyclists dont like em but can't remember why.

Falwheeler

First check the wheel rim, inside, make sure none of the spoke nipples is causing the problem, they should be covered by tape anyway. Then check the tyre making sure there is nothing caught in the tread and poking through, small bits of flint or glass from the original puncture. Are you using good quality tubes?

Rob500

The most important thing is to make sure you have got rid of whatever it was that caused the puncture. I had 3 punctures in quick succession because I didn't spot the tiny shard of glass in the tyre. Small enough not to penetrate the tube when inflating it, but big enough to get through after a couple of miles.

Hi Paul, I agree 100% with benb above. The same thing happened to me a while back.

As for repair, I take spare tubes and then fix when back home. I use those self adhesive patches as I can't be bothered anymore with the old fashioned glue method. Inners come with different valve lengths (I think?) I get mine from my local Decathlon and always buy those marked "Long 48mm". The reason being that I've found it easier to fit a hand pump onto the longer valve when there's no air in the tyre.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I agree with all of the above and would add one thing. Make sure your tyres are correctly inflated, at higher pressures much road debris will "bounce" off.

Buy the best quality tyres you can afford with puncture resistance. I have Schwalbe Marathon at present, though having said that I picked up a vicious bit of gravel last Friday - the tyre didn't puncture and on inspection the gravel only penetrated 50% through.

Next time, hope there isn't one, remove tyre and tube together. Carefully find the puncture and then inspect tyre and rim in the area.

I always carry a pair of tweezers to help remove foreign objects minimising the risk of breaking it off and leaving some in place.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
+1 - Line up the trademark on the tyre with the valve. This allows you to remove the tube and determine whereabouts on the tyre the puncture occured. Search the area for the cause and remove it (or find the hole in the tyre and make sure it is clear). If your punctures were all on the seam I would suspect that there was something left in the tyre causing them. If they were all in the same area of the tyre I would be certain. Valves come long and short, as rims vary in depth.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I find the best thing is to carry a couple of spare tubes, then you can quickly swap the holed tube for a new one and be on your way, and patch the holed one when you get home.

BUT if you haven't found what caused the puncture you risk getting a hole in the new tube, and then the next one, and then what? It happened to a mate of mine the other week. He punctured, replaced the tube, 3-4 miles, flat, replaced that tube, 3-4 miles flat. He had no patches. I came across him scratching his head at the side of the road. Eventually found a tiny, tiny flint in the tyre, that only showed itself when you flexed the tyre, and took 3-4 miles to work it's way through the new tube. Removed flint carefully with screwdriver blade, patched one of his tubes with one of my glueless patches, and all well. Good job I met him - he faced a 20 mile trip home - somehow.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
+1 - Line up the trademark on the tyre with the valve.

What a good idea. I'll have to refit the tyres on Saturday! Never heard that before.

OP
OP
B

boltsy74

Regular
Thanks for all the advice, had a chat with LBS, tyres have been under inflated, and getting pinch punctures, bought a track pump, and can't believe the difference, put it down to a lesson learnt.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks for all the advice, had a chat with LBS, tyres have been under inflated, and getting pinch punctures, bought a track pump, and can't believe the difference, put it down to a lesson learnt.

Nice one.

When I got my first road bike, I tried so hard to get the tyres up to pressure with a basic hand pump that I burst loads of blood vessels in my arm and burnt some skin off my hand!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My bike got very prone to punctures when the tyres it came with had worn a bit, after 500 miles i could have probably doubled that distance but they were shredded by all the intrusions from the glass that litters the cycle paths here. Id frequently cycle a while the country lanes, then puncture in the last mile or two home through the town. Another vote for Marathon+ regardless of any extra effort they require.

AFAIK pinch punctures tend to happen on the valve side of the tube from the rim impacting and most other stuff on the outside.

Top Bottom