Punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there.

I keep getting punctures! 2 today with 15 miles. Is it the season for punctures?! I've got continental gatorskins

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Marathon plusses are way to go.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's the roads which aren't being cleaned / hedge cutting / glass / etc. It also depends on your road positioning.

Personally I don't like Gatorskins; too slippy in the wet but they do have decent puncture resistance. I'm using Continental's GP 4 Seasons or GP5000 which are more expensive but better quality. Anything like a Schwalbe Marathon isn't quick rolling enough for me.

200km done today on horrendous roads; dirty, gritty, potholed and generally poorly maintained in Cheshire. But without issues.

boydj

Legendary Member
Gatorskins don't have great protection. @DCLane has it right. You could go for Marathons, but they feel dead and lifeless and make cycling harder work. I used GP 4 Seasons for most of the years that I commuted with very few punctures - and they're lively enough for week-end club rides. I've got 5000 TLs on one bike, running tubeless and find them excellent.

It is a good idea to carefully check inside the tyre again if you've had a couple of punctures by turning it inside out in case there is a tiny shard in there which you have missed.

freiston

Veteran
How often were you getting punctures before? Did you check the inside of the tyre before refitting? I went well over 10 years without a puncture then had three last year (February, August and November); the first was a thorn that plugged the tube and tyre with no apparent loss of air until I got home and forced it out, the second I never determined but it was weird - so small I had difficulty keeping my eye on it but the tyre deflated fast, the third one was glass. I was so shocked when I got the first one that I decided to keep a log. Haven't had one since. My tyres aren't showing carcass yet but the back one is rather smooth and flat-profile along the middle of the "tread". I've got slow-rolling Vittoria Randonneurs (the original version) on but I've got a pair of faster foldable Randonneur Pro Mk II ready to go on - I'm going to get as much out of the old ones as I can first.

Slick

Guru
They are fairly new tyres
The roadscare crap right now for sure and Gatorskins are not really ideal for this time of year with Durano + being my choice of winter tyre. That said, I did pick up a few punctures back to back and eventually discovered a tiny piece of glass buried in the rubber that would only come out every 15 mile or so to pierce my tube. Nightmare

Top Bottom