Punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It could be that it is the same obstruction causing all the punctures. Are they all on the same part of the tube? They can be a febil to find sometimes.

yello

It can happen, luck of the draw.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the tyres. As they're new and inflated correctly (100psi maybe a tad high for 25s, but it's there or there arounds) then I'd give the tyres a visual check for anything embedded (glass, thorns, etc) and maybe whip them off to run your fingers (carefully!) around the insides.

Monitor it, carry a spare tyre if needs be. Roads can be shitty this time of year and p*s sadly go with the territory.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I keep getting punctures! 2 today with 15 miles. Is it the season for punctures?!
what type of puncture and what was the cause?

could be the same piece of embedded glass / flint / thorn.

Did you line up the punctured tube against the tyre and do a thorough search around the puncture point from inside and outside the tyre?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
do you regularly check them for embedded debris? - most punctures come from stuff working its way through - not from a sudden piercing.
Are you sure of that?

I tried regular tyre inspections for about a year a while back. It didn't seem to make any difference either way so eventually I gave up. And nothing bad happened. I still do a quick check when the wheels are off, but I'm not religious about it.

Not saying it's wrong ... just that I used to take it as gospel but these days it's not something I think about much.

Are you sure of that?

I tried regular tyre inspections for about a year a while back. It didn't seem to make any difference either way so eventually I gave up. And nothing bad happened. I still do a quick check when the wheels are off, but I'm not religious about it.

Not saying it's wrong ... just that I used to take it as gospel but these days it's not something I think about much.
seems to be so for me - I often find bits of stuff in my tyres that's working through - I run my tyres until they are truly shot (ie lots of punctures close together) so there's lots of nicks for stuff to get embedded in. I also quite often find bits of thorns to be dug out - particularly if riding in a certain area of the north. I get hardly any punctures despite this - my last one was caused by a displaced rim tape - nothing to do with the tyres. I also don't remember ever puncturing when I have ridden through the dreaded patch of glass - if I do that I check tyres very soon.

boydj

Legendary Member
Are you sure of that?

I've had punctures from the tiniest shards of glass that had probably been in the tyre for a while, since they were too small to pierce the tyre as soon as they were picked up. I've picked out small shards that very likely would have caused a puncture if they had not been taken out.

It's well worth going over your tyres carefully every two or three weeks looking for small holes which might have tiny bits of glass or grit still in there.

I recently discovered tyre liners, fantastic things. My e bike has Schwalbe big apples, K line, terrible puncture protection, I was getting a puncture every 40 miles or so but in the 3 weeks since installing the liners not a one. I did 42 miles on it yesterday, I have done approximately 350 miles with no flats

roley poley

Über Member
I have found a loose crumb of glass can roll around undetected to the bottom inside of your tyre as you run fingers round the inside..so check the lowest point where gravity may have left it for a surprise later

froze

Über Member
Where are the flats located, on the tread side of the tube or on the rim side of the tube? If on the rim side you need new rim tape, or you have spoke end poking a wee bit into the rim tape and then at high psi the tube presses on that rim tape and puts a dimple where the spoke end is, and if the spoke end is right up against the tape that could cause the tube to go flat after a while with high psi. Are the flats always on the same tire and in the same spot on the tire?

Gatorskin tires are good tires, I don't see a problem with those, if the flat is on the same tire in the same area, then you have something protruding in the tire and puncturing the tube. You should be indexing your tubes, this means the valve stem is in the middle of the tire label, this way you can tell whenever you remove the tube if the flat is occurring in the same place, which will help you to find the flat causing culprit faster.

I can't recommend Slime tubes for high pressure tires, they suck! If you pump the tire to 100 psi and you get a puncture, the high PSI will force the Slime right out of the tire till the pressure gets around 65 or so psi, what happen is the tire goes flat first, then when you pump it up at around 65 it will go flat again. If you want added flat protection then look into Mr Tuffy Ultralite tire liners.

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
I think i read somewhere and im inclined to believe it " 90% of punctures occur in the last 10% of a tyres life" this is regarding car/motorcycle tyres but it probably applies the same. Living in the highlands theres hardly any glass and having done a few thousand miles i havent had a puncture yet [of course i will :laugh:] but i will put on new tyres long before theyre getting bald it has always worked for me on motorcycles. :okay:

presta

Guru
Punctures in ~50,000 miles
Glass: once.
Screw: once.
Nail: once.
Hedge trimming: once.
Very old patch lifted: once.
Overinflated tyre blew off the rim: once.
Thorns: 3 or 4.
Grit: scores of them.

That said, if every bit of grit embedded in the tyre went on to cause a puncture, I'd have had thousands, not scores. I rode thousands of miles on a Marathon which had a big cut that was perpetually filled with grit, but none of it ever punctured the tube.

I don't think 'two punctures' is enough data to draw any conclusions from, how many are you getting over a period of a few months, or a year? I've had as many as 4 punctures in a day, once during a 60 mile ride, and another during a 16 mile ride. I had as many as 30 punctures in the space of 8 months in 2000, but as it's not happened before or since, I don't regard that as anything other than bad luck.

People see patterns where none exist because a) true randomness doesn't always look random, and b) people are inveterate pattern-seekers.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Gatorskins are fine, though they do wear out eventually :whistle:

On swapping the old front tyre to replace this worn out rear I found two thorns sticking through the old front tyre but not quite far enough to have caused a puncture. Both of them on the shoulder outside the kevlar belt.

These are 28mm. I inflate to 75 rear 60 front at which pressures they are both comfy and grippy. At the recommended (by Continental) 90 they are neither.

I've never had a snakebite at these pressures.

Top Bottom