Punture prevention

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

I've found normal Schwalbe Marathons (not the Marathon+) to be excellent at puncture resistance. I cycle round the potholed-rutted-covered in sharp flints & stones lanes of Norfolk which are worse than any urban road I've ever cycled along, and the normal Schwalbe Marathons have kept me puncture-free for over a year at a time. And, being a proper girlie I have puny upper body strength yet I can get Schwalbe Marathons on and off a rim with relative ease.

Key:
  • Keep the tyres pumped up to the correct pressure as soft tyres puncture more easily.
  • Always carry a puncture-kit, including a decent set of tyre levers (I like the Tacx ones).
  • Have a decent pump which will allow you to get a replacement inner tube back up to a decent pressure quickly and easily. Being a weak & feeble girlie, I've found that the pump that works for me is the Cyclaire+ as it goes up to 120psi with ease... even I can do it.
  • Remember to take your puncture kit/spares with you. The day you don't is the day you'll puncture!
  • At the end of a ride, give your tyres a quick visual check over and remove and debris/stones from the tyres.
  • Avoid cycle farcilities where possible, as it's these that tend to be strewn with glass...

cyclebum

I use slime, I don't want to tempt fate but EVERY time I went on the canal I had a p*******, but it was about May last year when I switched and have covered quite a few miles since on the same tubes.

(I know I shouldn't have said this, must make sure my kit is in my bag next time I go out!!!)

domtyler

Über Member
Totally different approach to the above here and this only applies to commuting. My commute is seven miles, I use either Conti Sport Contacts or GP4000S's, the contacts are the most puncture proof, depending on which bike I am on. I don't generally carry puncture repair kits or spare tubes, I have not had a puncture in about a year and a half now. When I do get one I will adopt the following technique.

Un-weight whichever wheel has punctured and slow right down. Be extra careful to avoid any bumps or potholes in the road and just carry on your way to work. It will be significantly slower and harder work, especially on your arms as you struggle to keep the punctured wheel unweighted, but you will get there in almost the same time as normal.

I only do this as my commute is only seven miles and I very rarely puncture anyway. I avoid punctures mainly by not cycling through/over potholes or bumps, cycle well out from the gutter and keep a good look out generally for any glass etc. on the road.

If I go out at the weekend I will take a spare tube with me.

domtyler

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
Can't help on the slime, but Marathon plusses have a pretty good reputation for toughness. BTW, forum etiquette demands we never write the P-word in full, P*ncture for instance is OK, otherwise bad luck may befall you courtesy of the P*ncture faries...! Actually, we never say H*lfords either!

P*nctures will happen once in a blue moon even with the toughest tyre. Good idea to practice changing a tube in the comfort of your own home, if you carry a spare and tools that work it takes very litttle time IMO.
Also, having a track-pump at home and keeping tyres at their proper pressure also helps prevent P*nctures.

Come on FF, it is hardly 'forum etiquette' to indulge in twee superstitious bollox now is it? Just because a few strange folk believe in this nonsense is no reason to tar the rest of us normals?

wafflycat

Andy in Sig said:
Go for belt and braces i.e. fit the most P-proof tyres you can find and always carry two spare inner tubes and simply replace rather than patch. Then you can patch up later at home. This might sound obvious but having got the holed tube out, don't forget to run your hand carefully along the inside of the tyre to confirm that whatever it was that did the damage is still not sticking in.

Most definitely!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
domtyler said:
Come on FF, it is hardly 'forum etiquette' to indulge in twee superstitious bollox now is it? Just because a few strange folk believe in this nonsense is no reason to tar the rest of us normals?

Did I miss-out on the 'Serious' pills being handed out or something?
Jeez...

wafflycat

Fab Foodie said:
Did I miss-out on the 'Serious' pills being handed out or something?
Jeez...

Fear not... SheWhoMustNotBeNamed will undoubtedly strike when he leasts expects it as a result of casting aspertions on ThoseWhoBelieve... He'll hear that hiss of deflation as the p*nct*re fa*ry strikes... :blush:

PrettyboyTim

bonj said:
And, without wanting to be condescending, most of them are only biddies off to the bingo or post office, or schyoo-dents on their way to the fish and chip shop (with cheque books at the ready due to having spent their entire week's loan allowance on fags and your fare), so I wouldn't worry TOO much if you're a bit late.

What a stupid thing to say.

byegad

Legendary Member
A CO2 inflator and some Seal and 'Flate will get you about 15 miles on a leaking tube depending on the size of the hole, I know because I've done it a few times.
The tyre will be flat when you're ready to go home but a spare tube and check the tyre carcass for the cause before replacing the old one will do the job. With Marathon Pluses you MAY find removing and replacing the tyre hard work, some posters have reported this and I had some on my commuter for a couple of years. Try Pasela Panaracer Tour Guards just as good and easier to remove and most importantly roll better!

Top Bottom