Pure White and Deadly - The Sugar conspiracy (or why the world's obese) ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This is an excellent read if you're interested in why the western diet went wrong, how and who was culpable. For many in the Food, Nutrition and public health field it's a pretty uncomfortable read and so it should be.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

At last the real culprit is in the spotlight and the general opinion that sugar not fat is public enemy number one is at last gaining traction. I never bought into the low fat diet. I qualified as a Food Technologist in 1984 when the low fat/high carb diet and going for the burn was in full swing. It didn't make sense to me then. A few years later I scraped a degree in Biochemistry and at that point better understanding the role of Insulin in metabolism, replacing fat with carbs, especially if it's refined carbs really didn't make any sense at all. This should really be clear to any degree level Biochemist, Biologist, Nutritionist, Food Scientist or Doctor.
Whilst I would not consider myself any kind of nutritionist, the evidence I have seen over the years regarding the negative role of carbs and particularly sugar has been overwhelming, but little in public health has changed.

Hopefully, just hopefully now, we've got our man.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Refined" is a keyword. Could also write "processed".

It's good to be sceptical of Low Carb High Fat diet fanatics too, though.

The big problem is 'high fructose corn syrup'. It was developed / invented by the Japanese, in the 1960's, and has been used as "sugar" by the food industry ever since. It is tantamount to a drug. It blocks the enzyme that is released by the liver, when you have eaten enough, so you keep eating. Nearly all 'soft drinks' and fast food' which includes 'sugar' in it's ingredients, is actually using this stuff. It's nasty, but a very good way of American corn producers to sell their excess corn. It's coming back to bite them, in the arse now though.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
"Refined" is a keyword. Could also write "processed".

It's good to be sceptical of Low Carb High Fat diet fanatics too, though.
I'd agree with that too.
In fact my daughter #2 took me to a nutrition seminar Tuesday evening in Bristol by FAB or 'Food and Behaviour Research' led by Dr Alex Richardson who whilst getting a bit evangelical with time I think is spot-on in many areas. Less Sugar and refined/processed food, more Veg, Fruit, Fish, beans and pulses and small quantities of meat (for B12 or supplement).

Alex's work on the role of Omega-3 fish oils I first heard about nearly 15 years ago and I have been a supporter of her work for many years. The lecture outline is here:
http://www.fabresearch.org/viewItem.php?id=10051

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Look at a graph of postwar obesity rates and it becomes clear that something changed after 1980.... Just 12% of Americans were obese in 1950, 15% in 1980, 35% by 2000."

So, a 25% rise in 30 years, followed by a 133% rise in 20. That's one helluva curve...

Tin Pot

Guru
"Look at a graph of postwar obesity rates and it becomes clear that something changed after 1980.... Just 12% of Americans were obese in 1950, 15% in 1980, 35% by 2000."

So, a 25% rise in 30 years, followed by a 133% rise in 20. That's one helluva curve...

Yeah what changed is that every American wanted a diagnosis, a syndrome and preferably some kind of autism inducing allergy.

classic33

Leg End Member
What do we do about this lot though? Fructose, from memory, "fooling the body".
Sugars.jpeg

Wafer

Veteran
I've been discovering this in the last year. Started reading the big fat surprise, excellent book it seems but reading it makes me angry about how we've been misled so I still have much to read. I skim read chunks of the article above and it seems to cover the same kinds of points, but then it references the book....

How Ancel Keyes managed to convince people so thoroughly I don't know. Bloody politics.

I've not been a fan if the meat us bad etc... Idea for a while anyway having had good results with the low gi ideas but it's still a challenge changing ingrained behaviour. I've gone back to full fat milk, not worrying about the butchers mince not being 'lean' and other things, but some of it is taking real conscious effort to realise.

Top Bottom