Push bike with a petrol engine added.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
One of these farted its way past me on the way to work a while ago. Half a mile up the road I passed it - the rider was pushing it along for some reason. It was on a very tired old MTB. He was three miles from any major conurbation.
What a shame ^_^

johnnyb47

Guru
An elderly guy who lives by me has converted his old 80s road bike into one of these petrol contraptions. Through town he obviously doesn't use the engine, but when he leaves and heads home up the quiet lanes into the Welsh mountains he uses it to push him along. There's literally no-one around for miles and says he's never been stopped by the police..
Just a quick question of curiosity, are they illegal to even have them fitted but not actually running?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Before the plague struck, I used to fairly regularly see one in the Eccles area, on my commute. Noisy and ridden as one might stereotype a 15/16 year old to ride. Unless he was extremely unlucky, even if the police saw him I doubt they would be able to apprehend him, because of the numerous cut throughs in the area and it seemed to handle similar to a road bike.

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
Interested in that - on what basis would it be illegal?
vehicle construction and use regulations, tax, insurance,mot, to name but a few, a bit like having a home made motorbike fitted with pedals in the hope that you wont get in deep brown stuff, just thinking thats what they are home made motor bikes? Some are very well made and actually look great but lets hope no one owning one is ever involved in an accident.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Before the plague struck, I used to fairly regularly see one in the Eccles area, on my commute. Noisy and ridden as one might stereotype a 15/16 year old to ride. Unless he was extremely unlucky, even if the police saw him I doubt they would be able to apprehend him, because of the numerous cut throughs in the area and it seemed to handle similar to a road bike.

Same here, I regularly see a chap riding one along the cycle track beside Nissan, a short distance from where I live. I assume he is going to/from work at one of the many factories around the Nissan Plant, or, at Nissan itself.

Landsurfer

Veteran

Top Bottom