Pushing myself too soon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chqshaitan

Guru
Hi Guys,

I have finished my first week of commuting (tuesday, thursday and today.

My legs are a bit tired in the day but nothing major, so I am thinking about setting myself a personal goal of doing all of next week on the bike but am not sure if I am pushing myself too soon.

Each way is around between 6 and 7 miles so not a lot compared to what some do. If I end up being totally knackered after one trip, i have the option of driving if need be, but would prefer to avoid this.

Any suggestions or hints/tips on what i can do maximise my chances of making it through the week ?

MisterStan

Label Required
Could you aim for Mon, Weds and Fri for a few weeks? I started doing that. Then after a couple of weeks, you could try Mon/Tues, Weds off and Thurs/Fri back on the bike for a few weeks, then up to five days?
Congratulations on your efforts this week - I genuinly think you've picked a great time to start - the days are getting longer and it should start getting warmer too! Then once you've done the summer and built your mileage up, you'll be set for next winter!

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
yea, 3 days wont be a problem as that is what i have just done(with 2 back to back).

You think its better for me to do less commutes initially with a day to recovery in between ?

On one hand, i dont want to overdue it, otherwise I may decide to cancel a commute, which wouldnt be good, but then I want to push myself as well, choices choices.

I totally agree that this is a good time to start, as its cooler, so I wont get as hot/overheat while commuting ( i am 22 stone, so got a bit to loose, another reason to commute).

MisterStan

Label Required
I just found that the day off in between was a help initially (my commute is 35-40 miles return). I started upping the days as I felt ready to. I don't think it's a great idea to push too hard too soon. I also don't know what your general level of fitness is!
If you felt that 3 days was no problem then try 4 next week - probably with Weds as a rest day?

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
one of your return commutes is more than double one of mine.

i aint mega fit, but am not too bad, up until the end of november , attended a local gym for a few hours ago with a trainer. My average heart rate during the commutes this week is around 160, peaking near 180.

I am 40 years old, so taking into account my age, and weight, i dont think i am too bad :smile:

I was maybe going to do a long ride over the weekend but will take it easy now and then start back on monday and take it from there.

Thanks bud

BSRU

A Human Being
If you ride more days you could take it easier, I know if I do the same distance at a slower speed I am less affected.
Then you could slowly increase your effort each day.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Don't over estimate the back to back bit- I commuted Wed and Fri for a while then something happened and I ended up doing Thurs and Fri one week instead and found it a lot harder than usual- that one day inbetween can make the world of difference to allowing your body to adapt! Just a thought.
Well done on the effort though getting started is the hardest bit!

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
When i am heading home, I to tend to push myself more as i know i can take it easy. As a few have suggested, maybe I will just coast/take it where i can.

From what you are saying, 5 days of easy commuting would be more beneficial for me starting out, 3 intensive rides, with a day off in between each one.

Does that sound right?

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Just do what feels right, you can't go wrong. If you do a few days and feel tired/legs sore then miss a day. I've commuted for years and there are days when I feel like a day off. Don't beat yourself up.

Top Bottom