Pushing myself too soon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
I only cycle home on my commute as I do not want to be 'that smelly guy' when I am the only guy in my workplace. I have been doing the 9.8-10 miles home 2 times a week, and now it's 3-4 and I have found it bad in legs, but it's getting better with time. Don't bite too much of the cherry.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Even now (after several years) I notice the difference a day off makes - just that extra bit of energy. But then I don't think I'm as fit as I could be.

Crankarm

Guru
yea, 3 days wont be a problem as that is what i have just done(with 2 back to back).

You think its better for me to do less commutes initially with a day to recovery in between ?

On one hand, i dont want to overdue it, otherwise I may decide to cancel a commute, which wouldnt be good, but then I want to push myself as well, choices choices.

I totally agree that this is a good time to start, as its cooler, so I wont get as hot/overheat while commuting ( i am 22 stone, so got a bit to loose, another reason to commute).

I don't think you have much option. You have to continue to save your life. You weigh twice as much as me. I couldn't imagine riding carrying another me on my back which is effectively what you are doing. You need to eat healthily, cut out all the crap that has got you to 22st and exercise hard and frequently. It is a state of mind. I refer you to the story of the amazing shrinking Gaz who lost a staggering amount of weight after years of troffing. You can do it. Man up.

Crankarm

Guru
When i am heading home, I to tend to push myself more as i know i can take it easy. As a few have suggested, maybe I will just coast/take it where i can.

From what you are saying, 5 days of easy commuting would be more beneficial for me starting out, 3 intensive rides, with a day off in between each one.

Does that sound right?

As a start yes but you need to ramp up if you are serious about shifting the pounds, reducing size and gettting fit. I would say you need one day off each week. You need to be hard core, change your whole mind set or you will fail.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Your body should tell you if you are pushing too much too soon. If your legs are really aching, have a day off, if you find yourself short of breath but legs are ok then ride but take it easier.

SWSteve

Guru
Your body should tell you if you are pushing too much too soon. If your legs are really aching, have a day off, if you find yourself short of breath but legs are ok then ride but take it easier.
When it comes to being out of breath, one thing I was taught when playing rugby to help: In through your nose, out through your mouth. It's a trick polar bears use as well. I think it means the air entering your lungs is wetter and warmer and is more easily absorbed by your bloodstream

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I tried doing one way journeys for ages, and all I got used to doing was one way. In April 2011 I decided to do it both ways 5 days a week even though it was painful both mentally and on the body. It took around 4 weeks before it was not totrture and probably closer to 6 months until it was mostly ok. The memory of that pain is what drives me to do it all the time no way would I want to take the winter off and come back to the pain. It is now a habit couldn't imagine going back to the car.

My advice is head down and go through it, by August you will be looking at going the long way round!

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
crankarm -- jeez man, you gone a bit over the top there. I have been working out at the gym for the last 3-4 years so while i am overweight, i am not carrying 50% extra weight.

I can leg press twice 3-4 times your body weight and lat pull your weight confortably. Its pretty clear by me coming on here and asking loads of starter questions and commuting to work that i am working to change things, so i dont take kindly to the majority of your personal comments.

OP
OP
C

chqshaitan

Guru
as most people have said, i am going to do it until my body insists that i take day off. also i am planning on getting out at the weekend with the mutt, and do some hilly routes so that should help as well. thanks guys for all your positive comments.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
crankarm -- jeez man, you gone a bit over the top there. I have been working out at the gym for the last 3-4 years so while i am overweight, i am not carrying 50% extra weight.

I can leg press twice 3-4 times your body weight and lat pull your weight confortably. Its pretty clear by me coming on here and asking loads of starter questions and commuting to work that i am working to change things, so i dont take kindly to the majority of your personal comments.

Harsh words, kindly meant, I believe. To be honest, fit and fat is better than thin and unfit. However strength in the Gym does not compare to cardio-vascular fitness out on the road. I hope that in 6 months time you will be able to look back on yourself now and feel really good. Me? I've only lost 1 stone (much more and I would have faded away), but 2013 me is unbelievably fitter than 2010 me, and I know which one I'd rather be.

My one tip? Get out and enjoy yourself. Let commuting be a springboard to further rides. You can expect to have done a 50 mile ride by the end of the year, and be planning a 100-mile ride for 2014, but only if you get pleasure out of the open road, beautiful views, and lung-fulls of fresh air. I'd probably suggest building up to 2 all-out rides and 3 gentle commutes a week. I reward myself with a serious fry-up breakfast any week I manage all 5 days, although it is work commitments and holidays that prevent me from doing 5/5.

vickster

Legendary Member
How about adding focused cardio to your gym workouts to help your fitness (assume cardio isn't already the main part of the gym) - big muscles don't seem to be overly helpful for cycling (or indeed weight loss

Rower, Stepper, Crosstrainer - 20 minutes of each at high intensity after warm up? Replace some of the weights with the cardio - I am assuming you are not a 6'8 rugby player who gets enough cardio running around a muddy field!

Top Bottom