Put your feet up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
interesting design , looks like it rides well.

OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
Looks good, any specific reason for the negative headstock/reversed fork?
Well, on on normal bike, when you are stationary and let go of the handlebars, they tend to turn fully to one side. If you make the rake the 'wrong ' way round, with say 4 cm trail, it straightens the steering to point forward. This helps stabilize the bike. When you are riding along and the bike leans to one side, it tends to steer the way you are leaning, which makes the bike sit up again. It makes it more stable than it should be for quite a long, low bike, with little wheels. So when the rake is in the opposite direction, it helps the bike balance better. If you don't believe me look at this

View: https://youtu.be/5MQ7qDzfENo
My homemade skateboard uses the same principle.

OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
This one is "only" two chains. It did cause a problem with jumping off, but it hasn't happened once since I fitted the two jockey wheels.

Drago

Legendary Member
Brilliant. I admire people with these fabrication skills. I'm brilliant with a spanner and will do any job on a car without compunction, but the art of welding always eluded me. Just couldn't dig it.

Salar

A fish out of water
Looks good Bob.

The reversed fork concept clever. The way to visualize this is to consider an offset castor, say on your furniture. Push the furniture the castor will always be in a trailing position.

Top Bottom