Put your feet up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
guide pulleys with a chain retainer over the top ,

The advantage of using a multi chainwheel system is the front mech doubles as a chain guide
You are right. I never thought of that. I removed the smaller front chain rings to make it simpler, but the chain kept jumping off, so I had to add the teo jockey wheels

OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
I am wondering about the stress on that from end, maybe just because it looks wrong.
Well, its a smaller front end than normal, so the lever arm is not as big as usual. But also there is less weight on the front so the forces are reduced too. Seems to be ok so far.

OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
Brilliant. I admire people with these fabrication skills. I'm brilliant with a spanner and will do any job on a car without compunction, but the art of welding always eluded me. Just couldn't dig it.
I just bought a MIG set and watched a couple of YouTube videos....and my welding skills are shocking! I would recommend a mask with a light sensitive visor.
Looks good Bob.

The reversed fork concept clever. The way to visualize this is to consider an offset castor, say on your furniture. Push the furniture the castor will always be in a trailing position.
Wave boards use the same idea. They have casters that lean forwards. When you lean the board, the wheel steers the way you lean. They use another one on the back just to confuse people.

OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
I am wondering about the stress on that from end, maybe just because it looks wrong.
The stress is less than you think because there is less weight on the front, and because the lever arm (the length of the fork) is shorter than a normal bike. The fork is off a kids bike. Nothing has broken yet so fingers crossed.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Looks like a fun bike, nice original design too. Have you looked on Atomic Zombie and Bentrider online for ideas? If the fork gives you some concern change it for an old BMX fork - they take some serious abuse. :whistle:

PS I love home build projects - keep posting the photo's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobwalton

bobwalton

homemade bike
If no one has seen a bike that looks like this, does that mean it's a new design - something that doesn't happen too often.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
There's also this fellow, on this side of the pond, very helpful ideas here and there.
https://sites.google.com/site/recycledrecumbents/home

Top Bottom