England : London Putative pootle - City of London at lunchtime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
And I work at E&Y :-)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
How about next Tuesday, at 12:45 then? Subject to weather, probably! Selfishly, I'll suggest the Monument as a starting point - it is fairly central between Southwark and Moorgate. Any bright ideas as to somewhere we can pootle to and from inside an hour, preferably with time for a bite to eat?
http://ccspitalfields.org/visitus
you may already know this building but
a) it is the finest interior in England
b) it's open Tuesdays from 10 to 4
c) there's lots of grub in the vicinity
d) we could sit on the steps and eat sandwiches if it was fine

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://ccspitalfields.org/visitus
you may already know this building but
a) it is the finest interior in England
b) it's open Tuesdays from 10 to 4
c) there's lots of grub in the vicinity
d) we could sit on the steps and eat sandwiches if it was fine
Right. Two likes, including one from the local. That's enough for me. I've listened to concerts on the radio from there, but despite working within a couple of miles for the last 16 years have never been near the place.

Here's an only mildly eccentric route for a celebration of East London's multi-faith history - entirely road legal (and just look at the road names!) except for a push across Eastcheap to start. I reckon it'll take no more than 20 minutes or so to pootle gently with a couple of stops for historico-theologico-architectural disquisitions to Christchurch, where we can find a bite to eat and look after each others' bikes while we inspect the interior in turns. A quick dash down Brushfield Street, Bishopsgate and Gracechurch Street will take you back to the Monument in about 5 minutes flat-out.

And if you don't fancy a disquisition, just come for the company and a break from the desk. Start at the bottom of the Monument (the tall pillar with a golden flamey thing on top, outside Monument tube station) about 12:45. I'll probably be on a black Brompton and wearing a suit - DZ, Rebecca and Wanda all know me, so if there's a group of cyclists looking expectant you're probably in the right place. The nearest Boris bike station is less than 100 yards away if that's your fancied mode of transport.

I'm avoiding Cyclechat during the working day, so if you want to be in relatively formal contact, PM me a mobile and I'll reciprocate.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ah - Bevis Marks! We missed our slot on the 2011 ride by about ten minutes. My grandfather's lot, the Mendozas, were part of the Iberian diaspora, and came to the East End in the early eighteenth century. Whether or not they were ever smart enough to get over the doorstep of Bevis Marks is another matter.

Top Bottom