England : London Putative pootle - City of London at lunchtime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This sounds fun - is there room for one more?

M
Yes!

Those you who PMed have replies - feel free to turn up even if you didn't PM!

Sorry for the brevity of responses - I was on a tablet on slightly dodgy train WiFi.

wanda2010

Guru
Not able to make this ride now. Enjoy all.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Thanks for a great ride Steven. I've worked in london since 1979 but saw a whole load of new sights!!

And thanks to Simon too for the master's exposition on Hawksmoor.

I was the other Simon on the cornflower blue M6R by the way.

OP
OP
srw

srw

Thank you all for turning up - in the end we had about 8 (I never bothered to do a proper count - that wasn't the point). Mostly on Bromptons, with a couple of big bikes to leaven the mix. I had a lovely rest from my desk!

I must apologise for my inability to find Bevis Marks synagogue - I had a little lecturette prepared on the way in which Britain has opened its doors to immigrants over the years and adopted them in our own particularly spiky way (BM was built by a community chucked out of Spain and Portugal to a British non-conformist church design; the mosque was originally a chapel for Huguenots chucked out of France, then taken over by jews chucked out of Russia; Christchurch Spitalfields was built by the Brits to convert the Huguenots to Anglicanism). When I realised we'd missed it I was tempted to take a detour into Devonshire Square for a photography session (see P&Lite a few months ago for the reference).

I'll take a look at my diary and suggest another date. There are plenty more roads in the City and East London to potter around, as well as a few parks (being optimistic about the weather). Alternatively, we could aim in a particular direction - 20 minutes north/east/southeast/south. I'm only not suggesting west because that's the direction I come from.

Reactions: GM

subaqua

What’s the point
Thank you all for turning up - in the end we had about 8 (I never bothered to do a proper count - that wasn't the point). Mostly on Bromptons, with a couple of big bikes to leaven the mix. I had a lovely rest from my desk!

I must apologise for my inability to find Bevis Marks synagogue - I had a little lecturette prepared on the way in which Britain has opened its doors to immigrants over the years and adopted them in our own particularly spiky way (BM was built by a community chucked out of Spain and Portugal to a British non-conformist church design; the mosque was originally a chapel for Huguenots chucked out of France, then taken over by jews chucked out of Russia; Christchurch Spitalfields was built by the Brits to convert the Huguenots to Anglicanism). When I realised we'd missed it I was tempted to take a detour into Devonshire Square for a photography session (see P&Lite a few months ago for the reference).

I'll take a look at my diary and suggest another date. There are plenty more roads in the City and East London to potter around, as well as a few parks (being optimistic about the weather). Alternatively, we could aim in a particular direction - 20 minutes north/east/southeast/south. I'm only not suggesting west because that's the direction I come from.
if you had said you were looking for it i could have took you strraight there when we went up Bevis Marks, its closer to Aldgate than the Skanska construction site, and having had it as a view from my office for 2 years a few years back i know where it is in relation to the old office .

ah well . maybe on another pootle

OP
OP
srw

srw

Was this really in February? We picked the only day of spring. I haven't forgotten I said I'd find another date, but it won't be in the next couple of weeks - I'm off to India next week. If someone else wants to take up the reins, feel free.

subaqua

What’s the point
Was this really in February? We picked the only day of spring. I haven't forgotten I said I'd find another date, but it won't be in the next couple of weeks - I'm off to India next week. If someone else wants to take up the reins, feel free.
yes it was and it was sweaty warm .

OP
OP
srw

srw

It was the only time since about early June last year that I've ridden without a coat and gloves. In fact, it's probably about the only time this year that I've been outside for more than a minute or two without a coat and gloves.

Top Bottom