putting a 9 speed rear mech on 7 speed system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
THIS SHOULD BE IN 'KNOW HOW' - I KNOW; MY MISTAKE - SORRY!

As title.

My hydrid commuter is 7 speed but it needs a new rear mech. I have seen a Shimano Deore mech for £25 but they are made for 9 speed setups.

Will it work ok?

Can I use a 7/8 speed (3 3/2") chain with a 9 speed mech?

Wobblers

Euthermic

As title.

My hydrid commuter is 7 speed but it needs a new rear mech. I have seen a Shimano Deore mech for £25 but they are made for 9 speed setups.

Will it work ok?

In a word, yes.

My Galaxy is a 7 speed setup at the back. When it gave up the ghost last winter I replaced it with a new 9 speed Deore rear mech. No problems encountered - even the indexing wasn't far out. You'll be fine with an 8 speed chain and shifters. Just remember to make sure that the limit screws on the derailleur are set correctly.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
I want to keep my 7 speed set-up

just need to buy a new rear mech and they all seem to be 9 spped ones - will it work with my 7 speed stuff, is my Q

ie. will it chnage the 7 gears nicely? or is the 9 speed design going to mess up my gear changes?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The rear mech is not indexed it is the levers that are so imho subject to chain width it should work fine. I used a mtb mech on a road bike once with no adverse effects. I would probably stick with the same make levers to mech. Have you looked on Sheldon? The only concern I would have is if the thinner chain of a 9 speed set up means the mech will not take a fatter 7/8 speed chain, short of measuring the clearance I have no idea where you would find the specs to confirm this one way or the other.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member

As title.

Will it work ok?

Yes and yes.

The difference in width of an 8 and 9 speed chain is typically (because different makes/models have different widths) only 0.5mm.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
cheers - off to buy a new rear mech now then (9 speed Deore); all of 0m; just a few clicks away from shiny new bike components - love the interweb!

Top Bottom