Putting a bike back together

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've always wanted my second-hand touring bike to be yellow. She's currently blue and I adore her, but in my head, she's a ray of golden sunshine. I just found out about spray.bike, which makes a respray look like something I could potentially do myself but the thought of reassembling my bike afterwards is terrifying. I have no idea where to start.

Is there a step-by-step guide anywhere online at how to put a bike back together? My fettling skills are literally limited to puncture repairs and putting my chain back on.

alicat

Legendary Member
I personally wouldn't respray a bike. I did take a bike apart and get it powder coated and reassemble it. I wouldn't have done it if my skills were puncture repairs etc.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I literally just started reassembling a project bike today after having the frame powder coated, which was surprisingly cost-effective compared to the price of buying all the primers, paints and lacquers needed to respray it. Plus they shotblasted the frame, making it much better than I would have by sanding it.

In terms of reassembly, I took loads of pictures during disassembly so I knew how things went back together and labelled everything that came off. The two most critical parts are the bottom bracket and headset, which may need special tools to work with. After that it is mostly nuts and bolts. I went from this to this in a few hours, including tea breaks, lunch and some cleaning up of components as I refitted them. Plenty more to do but it’s bike shaped again.
C302C878-DBB0-4100-A20B-D52F25054AF7.jpeg

1C326329-BEE1-45E1-ADBA-264773FFFD80.jpeg

I’m no mechanic but it is mostly common sense and some Googling, plus a bit of patience and the ability to take stuff apart again to fix a mistake.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I sprayed my bamboo bike with spray.bike paints and it does go on really easily. However, the colour coats are matt and to make them gloss, you need to use the laquer and that is a little more tricky to spray. Overall, they are a bit more work than it looks in their promotional stuff, but I was happy with it.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/self-build-bamboo-bike-frame-kit-build-thread.225144/page-12

As for re-assembly, as above really, take your time stripping down the bike and take lots of photos as you go. Also, bag up any bolt/fixings in separate bags as you go and label them so you know where they came from. Ultimately it's a great thing to do anyway, to give you some mechanical confidence.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Box or bag for bits. TBH its not difficult to re-assemble. Take the opportunity to fit new cables, bar tape etc.

I resprayed my Ribble 653 in Nissan Pearlescent white. It took about 2 cans of primer, 4 cans of pearlescent and two of lacquer. Add in new decals and looking close to £100. You also need to be careful at first as the paint is soft. Takes weeks to go off.

Before all this, you've got to prepare the frame. In the end it took many hours to do.

Looks ace now though.

midlife

Guru
Another vote for a canary yellow powder coat :smile:

Monkeyshred on the tube does some good vids. He's recently used the type of spray the OP mentioned. It seems costly for what it is, and makes shot blasting and powder coating more tempting. I have a strong dislike of all things paint related, so choose to keep the 'character and patina' instead.

If I really wanted to change the colour of a bike, I'd take my chance on some of the finest hues on offer at the pound shop :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
90% if it is just putting bits back on the frame that you have previously removed. Take photos when disassembling. Keep bits organised.

The tricky bits will be headset and bottom bracket/chainset which may need special tools and/or skills. You could consider getting a shop to do those bits.

To be honest disassembling and reassembling a bike strikes me as a lot easier than painting a frame. All that rubbing down paintwork!

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The tricky bits will be headset and bottom bracket/chainset which may need special tools and/or skills. You could consider getting a shop to do those bits.
^^ This. Also depends a bit on the bike. if its "old tech" as in square table BB etc then its not too bad. Reassembling brakes derailleurs shifters etc on externally cabled bikes is quite straight forward, provided you're methodical took some photo's kept bolts etc with the relevant bits as you disassembled. Also gives you an excuse to re-grease headset and BB!

@figbat what did that cost to power coat if you don't mind me asking?

C R

Guru
I resprayed my commuter with those rattle cans, and my experience was similar to @chriswoody. It was interesting to do, but a powder coat would probably end up cheaper and last longer.

Putting it all back together will not be difficult if you have minimal mechanical sympathy, bikes are fairly simple machines. Go for it, says I.

Top Bottom