putting two different types of tyres on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

esrite

i have a Specialized hardrock pro mtb currently with Specialized Armadillos on both front and back. i've had this on for a year and commute 10 miles each way, 5 days a week (except when it snowed).

my front tyre still has good tread and still in good condition but my back tyre on the other hand is not as good and actually has two new (quite large) patches where you can see the underwire- which really surprised me to see this morning.

i want to replace just the back tyre with Continental Gatorskin. so will have Armadillos on the front and Gatorskin on the back.

my question is, would i have any problems doing this as i cycle in all weather?
buddy at work thinks i might get under stear (his a car
enthusiast)

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I recommend the late, great Sheldon Brown's article on "Mixing/Matching Tires" here to inform your choice and decision.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't see it causing any problems. I've mixed tyres on most of my bikes. I've mixed tyres on my car as well for that matter and have no understeer to report.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It'll cause no problems - in fact, it'll benefit you if done right.

I have a M+ on the rear (1.75 inch) and a regular Bontrager on the front (1.5 inch). Both 26 inch circumference.

It's better to have a wider, more durable tyre on the rear - helps reduce punctures and provides more comfort for you.

A lighter, narrower tyre on the front helps improve the handling - important in an urban environment.

I would sauggest that you put your Armadillo on the rear and your Gatorskin on the front. New tyres should always go on the front for safety reasons.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As Mickle says - no.

If I was doing it, I'd put the Armadillo on the rear and the Gator on the front - purely because the Armadillo is more durable and is more p8ncture resistant.

But either way will work fine

gouldina

I've got a Schwalbe M+ on the rear and a Panaracer Ribmo on the front.

jimboalee

The only bike of mine with different tyres front/rear is my SWorks.

Those are Conti Force/Attack, but they are meant to be 'Paired'.

I did have a bike once which had 24 x 1 3/8 on the rear and 20 x 1 1/4 on the front. Extended forks and ape-hangers.

OP
OP
E

esrite

bought the gators lunchtime and put them on - which was an absolute nightmare!!:laugh: - as i put them on checked them, when i blew them up got a puncture (must have been a pinch) so have to run to lbs to buy a new thinner innertube (i didnt realise this beore hand)

Moodyman said:
As Mickle says - no.

If I was doing it, I'd put the Armadillo on the rear and the Gator on the front - purely because the Armadillo is more durable and is more p8ncture resistant.
on reading this maybe i should have swopped them round -
anyway fingers crossed and thanks guys

jimboalee

tyred said:
And what was the handling like?

It had so much rake and trail, the thing would hold itself true 'hands off'.

So much so that at any decent speed, give a sharp turn and the bike would carry on forward with the front tyre skipping sideways.

Top Bottom