PX EC130E internal straw issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Lewis

Hello all,

I've bought myself a Planet X EC130E frameset as the price was so good as were the reviews. I've got past the easy build items and am now onto the internal cabling.

Note the frame has internal guide straws sticking about an inch out of each of the various cable holes. I've never come across this before. I've looked around and there seem to be different opinions on how to proceed.

1. Feed the inner cables all the way through the guide straws and then pull out the straws completely once done (but won't this cause bare cables inside to rub on the frame or each other?)
2. Cut the straw back slightly so the ends are just at the entrance to the holes to allow the outer cable to sit flush.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Did the frame come with small plastic frame guides?

This type of thing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOOK-Int...380484&hash=item2a4d06314d:g:qWAAAOSwzaJX2WxU

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Look-Int...723259?hash=item1a2f7abf7b:g:xJwAAOSwFqNZWNU8

You definitely dont want cable touching the frame.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I thought generally you threaded the inners through the straws then removed the straw and threaded outer over the inserted inner cable.

That would be my thoughts too, id think the frame has either a need for the grommets or the frame hole openings will be shaped to keep the cable running in the right angles for aesthetic purposes

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That would be my thoughts too, id think the frame has either a need for the grommets or the frame hole openings will be shaped to keep the cable running in the right angles for aesthetic purposes
Yep, I've never done one so not sure. The only bike of mine that has internal cabling is my 'mystery' 653 TT frame (no makers logo and no frame numbers anywhere on it) and that has a small steel sleeve brazed into the top tube for the rear brake cable, how do I know this well when I poked the inner through it popped straight out the other end (I thought I might have to 'fish' for it.)

OP
OP
I

Ian Lewis

You'll see from the picture there are plastic inserts that the outer cable will sit in, and the inner cable then carries on through exposed. Concerned about the bit under the BB though. Currently I can see the 2 straws (going to RD and FD). When the straws are removed the cables will be exposed to all the muck on the road

Attachments

• 1521308991607846656705.jpg
    1521308991607846656705.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
I

Ian Lewis

I'm planning to finish off my EC130E tomorrow. Really grateful for any last thoughts about the underside of the BB where the exposed cables will show. Is this ok, or is there an alternative?

Thanks

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thats it..the cable will be fine in the downtube.
What you can do is slacken off the cable when servicing and lightly oil the cable where it enters the outer every year etc.
I tend to replace inners often on my mtb bikes, but the road bikes seem to need far less attention.

Pot a pic of the bike when your done ,i like these frames and it would be nice to see the build

OP
OP
I

Ian Lewis

Thanks. It's not so much where the inner enters the outer that I'm concerned about. It's where the inner emerges from the downtube under the BB, and is completely exposed before then reentering the frame. Will this be ok?

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thanks. It's not so much where the inner enters the outer that I'm concerned about. It's where the inner emerges from the downtube under the BB, and is completely exposed before then reentering the frame. Will this be ok?
Many, many bikes have the cables exposed under the bb - any bike that is non-internally routed for sure. They either have a plastic cable guide or on some a metal guide for the cables. It is normal and a squirt of lube every now and then keeps them sliding nicely. Use a nice stainless cable

Top Bottom