Q about National insurance and state pension when not working?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, as some of you already know from other posts on the forum I'm job hunting at the moment, however what I can't seem to find out is who / where I need to be speaking to regarding the shortfall of national insurance and state pension contribution while between jobs.

Does anyone know who / where I need to be talking to?

Thanks.

Oldspice

Oldspice

The tax office does write to you eventually and tell you that your pension will be short by blah, blah amount and you have a choice if you wish to pay.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
As long as you pay NI for 30 years (I think), you will get a full pension. The only thing you may miss out on by missing years is JSA.
Sign on. I know it is a pain to have to go there every two weeks, fill in silly forms and attend sundry meetings and training, but it keeps you in the system.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
the issue I face is, having been a student for an extended length of time I have only had 4 months where I have had a job paying enough to go towards pension contributions etc, I'd rather spend time and effort now sorting it than later.

I'm well aware that the friendly job centre workers don't always seem to know, a bit like the DVLA really.

Sandra6

Veteran
If you're claiming benefits then your NI contribution is paid through them. Even if you're not entitled to the benefit - if you have a partner in work for example - it can be worth signing on for your "stamp"

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
class 3 voluntary was a way to make up gaps

OP
OP
Black Sheep
If you're claiming benefits then your NI contribution is paid through them. Even if you're not entitled to the benefit - if you have a partner in work for example - it can be worth signing on for your "stamp"

thats what I'm looking to be doing.

currently claiming nothing.

Night Train

Maker of Things
thats what I'm looking to be doing.

currently claiming nothing.
I started claiming for that reason. I didn't get anything at first as one company I worked for, Peninsula Recruitment, deducted my NI but never paid it to my NI account:cursing: . The DSS wanted me to pay up the balance before I could get any financial support. That stopped me claiming at first but I was advised to claim anyway as my NI would be paid.

sidevalve

Über Member
As long as you pay NI for 30 years (I think), you will get a full pension. The only thing you may miss out on by missing years is JSA.
Sign on. I know it is a pain to have to go there every two weeks, fill in silly forms and attend sundry meetings and training, but it keeps you in the system.
Yep 30 years is the figure any less and you lose pension any more doesn't seem to count [nor does any work done as "overtine" or "extra shifts" etc. Remember the government is always on the ball when collecting but they are not so keen on the paying out bit.

Top Bottom