Q Magazine: how the mighty have fallen.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I spotted a copy of Q mag in Berlin main train station yesterday and had a quick flick through. What a feeble imitation of its former self! When that mag came out it seemed like for once that somebody was writing in an adult but entertaining way about rock/pop music and now it looks just like another crappy fanzine. Are there any good mags on the topic nowadays?

Melvil

Used to buy MOJO and Uncut but both seem to be into 'classic' music nowadays...still, remember the Uncut CDs were pretty good for some music I wouldn't have heard otherwise - one of them had a track called 'Shiny, Shiny Pimpmobile by a band named 'East River Pipe'. That track was probably worth buying the magazine for six months!

Word magazine is usually pretty good, a good mix of classic (ie "old") and new music. The free CD's normally (but not always) worth a listen too.
Q seems to have grown old and middle class with its readership, and is now more likely to carry an advert for a 5 series BMW than an article about interesting non mainstream music.

I have the first few copies of Q mag , they came with photo specials of bands in concert, your right it used to me a good mag. Dont what you can get nowadays though , I gave up years ago:sad: I get my music updates from radio two now!!!

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
redcogs said:
Did you ever buy that new guitar ankev?

It's not exactly on the backburner but I do have to by some curtainy type things first (it's amazing how home ownership can make you plumb depths of bourgeois boringness which you never thought possible). Plus I'm working away from home for the next five weeks. My current plan is to give Christmas the finger (as usual) and treat myself. I've even gone so far as to download a few tabs of Rory Gallagher songs as there's no point in starting anywhere but at the top.

Have you been on hols or something? I had noticed your absence.

rustychisel

If you want intelligent writing on music and entertainment may I suggest

www.dbmagazine.com.au

;-)

mondobongo

Über Member
On the whole music intelligence on the radio Radcliffe and Maconie Mon-Thurs 8.00pm -10.00pm. Not a lot else kicking around these days where is Lamaar as In Mark the only one to rival the previous two with his eclectic taste.

Melvil

Does anyone else remember a short lived show on Radio 2 called 'Vinyl Classic's with Paul Weller choosing the tunes? It was on at 10pm on tuesdays, I think. It was top class, really good.

Melvil

But, having said that, Paul Weller didn't have a huge amount of charisma on the radio - "Yeh, I found this song down the market and think it's good so I'll just chuck it on".....(song plays)

redcogs

Guru
Andy in Sig said:
It's not exactly on the backburner but I do have to by some curtainy type things first (it's amazing how home ownership can make you plumb depths of bourgeois boringness which you never thought possible). Plus I'm working away from home for the next five weeks. My current plan is to give Christmas the finger (as usual) and treat myself. I've even gone so far as to download a few tabs of Rory Gallagher songs as there's no point in starting anywhere but at the top.

Have you been on hols or something? I had noticed your absence.

Our kids have been on their hols, so as a house parent, it fell to me to 'look after' them, which inhibited my routine somewhat. The darlings have gone back to school now, so i shall endeavor to restore a measure of sanity to the forum ;)

We have also had a steady stream of visitors from the Colne Valley and elsewhere, which has been nice, but places a few additional demands on normal life - a consequence of deciding to 'bide' on the Moray.

Top Bottom