QR front wheel in an old bolt frame: safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I presume it's been tested, but the picture shows the QR lever in line with the fork, which might prevent full lock or make it difficult to release.
Also would be worried about side winds affecting steering.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know if you're considering buying one but if you are I'd have thought you need to check your brakes can cope well with the extra weight. It can only accept rim brakes but this is the only possible problem I can see with this arrangement.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, it's fine. Lawyer lips are an abomination which defeat the object of a QR, so older frames are better for QR.

The only issue you might have is that older frames are often designed for thinner imperial-sized axles and the QR hub just won't go in. Some very neat filing is required, making sure the wheel still ends up straight in the frame.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you are filing the dropouts, only work on the lower part on each side so you keep it true.

I'll get one for my chopper and report back

Me lm a COJTAT ( cut of jeans trainers and t-shirt) and an old COJTAT at that :cuppa:
I was in Tewkesbury yesterday during our ride, while I was waiting to pay at a tea shop one of four ladies in the corner said - not realising I could hear her - "there's a MAMIL" and then explained to her friends what that was.
I turned round and said I wasn't a MAMIL, I was a PUFFIN.
"What does that stand for?" she asked. I replied,

"Pathetic, Unfit, Fat F..ella In Nappies" [with thanks to Alexei Sayle - radio 4 edit]

Top Bottom