QR skewer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two mile commute

I have just one quick release skewer and the bike shop put it on the rear wheel. I'm beginning to think it would be more use on the front to be used when locking the bike. Out of curiosity and given the choice would you put the qr skewer on the front or rear wheel?

gavintc

Guru
I have never tried to swap them over, but I think they are a different length.

Mr Pig

The spindle/axle (threaded rod/bar) that goes through the hub is also different. Quick Release spindles have a hole through the middle for the quick release to go through and they are also shorter than bolt-on spindles.

However, in all other respects the two types are the same so if you want a quick release on the front you can just buy the QR and the spindle and fit them to your wheel. The parts will only cost you about £10.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Can't see it making much difference for security being front or back, except its probably easier to loop through rear triangle AND rear wheel, than front and frame.
Its likely academic, for the reasons given above, but I'd probably want QR on the wheel I remove most often.

On my rear sussers, that'd be the front, as its the one that punctures most often. On the DFs, it'd be front again, as sometimes I need to shove one in a car.
I tend not to remove the rear that often, as it leaves the derailleur very vulnerable.

...Mind you, my bikes are odd shapes:smile:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
front qrs are 100mm long

rear are either
135mm Mtbs, some tourers and the ocasional roadframe
130mm Most, nearly all modern roadbikes
126mm older roadbikes
120 trackbikes which you are not likely to find using a qr anyway

For security I've swapped my QR skewers for a locking type, they use a sort of 5 sided allen key to remove. I keep the key on the same keyring as the bike lock.

I wouldn't put a qr on the front wheel and leave the bike without some sort of security on it. I went for swim a while back, when I came out the bike that had been next to mine on the rack had gone. Or most of it had gone, front wheel was still there chained up (the only bit that had been). I have no doubt that the thieving git would have had my front wheel if it hadn't been secured to the rack.

Maz

Guru
Two mile commute said:
Out of curiosity and given the choice would you put the qr skewer on the front or rear wheel?
Most p*nctures are on the rear tyre, so the QR lever on the rear wheel makes sense to me.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Maz said:
Most p*nctures are on the rear tyre, so the QR lever on the rear wheel makes sense to me.

Marginally OT: Interesting... I always get them on the front. I wonder if this is to do with suspension. I see a lot of hard tailed front sussers out there each day, but mine is a soft-tailed hard-nose.

I suppose that could account for it... Does your statement come from personal experience Maz? You're on a Sirrus, or two, right? Do they have those strange Zertz inserts / carbon forks or anything to make the front more forgiving than the rear?

Maz

Guru
arallsopp said:
Marginally OT: Interesting... I always get them on the front. I wonder if this is to do with suspension. I see a lot of hard tailed front sussers out there each day, but mine is a soft-tailed hard-nose.

I suppose that could account for it... Does your statement come from personal experience Maz? You're on a Sirrus, or two, right? Do they have those strange Zertz inserts / carbon forks or anything to make the front more forgiving than the rear?
Yes, on a Sirrus and Allez. Yes, from experience. I guess there's just more bodyweight (hence pressure) over the rear wheel, hence the higher probability of rear punctures.

Both bikes have those zertz insert things embedded in carbon forks.

I now have Schwalbe Duranos on the Sirrus and touchwood no punctures to report of.

Top Bottom