Quadriceps Pain - why now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chappers1983

This year, I've noticed a strange phenomenon towards the end of my longer rides (i.e. sportives) where I get an intense cramp in my quadriceps that I've never had before.

I'm not knowingly doing anything different in training or effort. I mean, my average speed is higher this year than before which I guess is a good sign, but I'm not doing hillier rides and yet at the end of every one I've had this pain that turns my legs to jelly.

I particularly noticed it a couple of weeks back on the South Downs 100 - having done the major climbing with no problems came to a short ramp, got out of the saddle in the small ring and both legs cramped simultaneously. Having struggled to the top of the hill, literally in time with the gradient levelling the pain subsided and was fine for the rest of the ride - although my quads were in agony for the next couple of days after.

Does anyone know why I might be experiencing this now and not before? Does it sound like something caused by a particular deficiency in training, or incorrect bike fit?

TIA

Cold?

Worst cramp I've had on the bike was my quads in the sleet. Left me sitting by the roadside wondering how I was going to get home.

OP
OP
C

chappers1983

Thanks for the replies - it’s definitely not the cold as it’s happened on some baking hot rides and only towards the end.

It’s not so much the recovery side of it I’m interested in - I’ve been riding for about 5 years and this has never happened before until this summer so trying to find out cause rather than manage the effect

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I get the same after 80 miles or so , never understood why although its either i am a notorious for not drinking enough and only do that sort of ride a few times a year.

Top Bottom