Quality 700 wheels that take a freewheel????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm trying to breathe new life into an early 80's Gazelle,I'm currently using this
as a single speed but plan to turn it back into a geared bike as it rides so well,
I can get Chainsets,derailleurs etc without any problems from ebay and the like,
But the only wheels that take a 6 speed screw on freewheel seem to be built
around quando hubs and they're very heavy about 400 grams heavier than modern
wheels.Am I going to have to have some wheels built around some vintage hubs????
If so can someone recommend some hubs
I presume modern wheels and an 8 speed block is going to be to wide to fit,
My frame takes a 120mm axle btw

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I presume modern wheels and an 8 speed block is going to be to wide to fit,
My frame takes a 120mm axle btw

If it is a 120mm axle then even modern 6 speed freewheels won't fit, only 5 speed freewheels would, or Ultra6, but which are pretty much obsolete and no sprocket choice if one can be found.

Is the frame steel and if steel do you know what tubing (since spreading rear triangle may be an option)? Are you interested in keeping it period correct or want functionality (e.g. 8/9/10 speed)? I presume you have downtube friction shifters?

OP
OP
Pennine-Paul

Pennine-Paul

Goth on a bike............
believe it's columbus tubing,I would like to keep it period correct if possible but if the only wheels
are cheapo quandos and a more modern wheel would fit I would rather use that,however the smallest
cassette I've seen is an eight speed and would the downtube shifters work with these??
I guess i would only have 5 or 6 cogs available????
Just remeasured the rear spacing,It's a 120mm wheel but I forgot I added to narrow nuts on either
end taking it to 126mm,feels like it could take another couple of mm say up to 130mm
Dont know where to start with old hubs been riding s/s and fixed for the last 10 years and the
only knowledge of hubs I have is of track hubs

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
old or new hubs/axles can be spaced to suit frame width required .

were the hubs you have been using flip flop ? if so turn it round so it takes a freewheel

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
believe it's columbus tubing,I would like to keep it period correct if possible but if the only wheels
are cheapo quandos and a more modern wheel would fit I would rather use that,however the smallest
cassette I've seen is an eight speed and would the downtube shifters work with these??
I guess i would only have 5 or 6 cogs available????
Just remeasured the rear spacing,It's a 120mm wheel but I forgot I added to narrow nuts on either
end taking it to 126mm,feels like it could take another couple of mm say up to 130mm
Dont know where to start with old hubs been riding s/s and fixed for the last 10 years and the
only knowledge of hubs I have is of track hubs

Downtube shifters, when in friction mode, is blind to the number of cogs at the back and ime will work with any speed cassette or freewheel.

Standard 6 and 7 speed freewheel or cassette hubs are 126mm. Road hubs for 8/9/10/11 speed, which are 99.99% cassette based, are 130mm.

If your frame can take 130mm you can get any modern road wheel you fancy and have as many speeds at the back as you like.

If you would like to be period correct you could get them used (like this) or all the way to picking suitable new old stock hubs and rims (such as this and this) and have them built.

AlexB

Veteran
I have a set of Suntour Superb Pro laced to Nisi Mixer semi-aero rims (28 hole, 3x DB swiss SS spokes). These would be period correct for the bike.
Interested?
If so, drop me a line.

Alex

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have a set of Suntour Superb Pro

These are really excellent hubs ! Amongst the best ever made, imo.

Top Bottom