quality - price - what would you notice.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
Super sorry if this question has been asked a million times :smile:

Background:
Just retired in March - currently ride at the weekends on a hybrid with my wife - very much leisure pace , with a picnic stop - all very nice.
Promised myself a road bike to start going out with the local Cycling UK group - moderate pace.
(Which I have been doing (and keeping up :smile: )

Of course with all the supply issues, I have not bought anything yet. I have limited myself to two local bike shops, as they do (or will do) a bike fit.
I am getting on a bit, 61. So thought it would help in getting the right fit, to keep me going longer...

I stared thinking of about £700-800......then read a bit here and there, then thought perhaps to only buy once £1000 - £1200 would be better.
Then I popped into a proper local bike shop, as in not branded, who thought I should be thinking of about £1500, and that would get me something really nice (which I am sure it would)

Question:
So at last my question :smile:

What sort of difference would I feel in £700 bike to a £1500 bike endurance type...for someone who might be riding 40 or so miles, twice a week.
Is it just a bit smoother gear changes, and a little bit lighter?

The reason I ask is, where I have not manged to get a road bike I have been doing all my miles on my current £250 Marin hybrid.
I think I am wearing all the components out, its making a lot of clanking noises, and the gear shifts are a bit so so now.

So I could but a new more modern hybrid to keep going on leisure rides (canal paths and the such) , with better components about £700 and a £700 road bike.

Or if it going to feel that different, go for the £1500 road bike :smile:

Sorry that is one long, long question :smile: ha ha
I hope it makes sense, what I am asking, form what I have read here, you always get a few different balanced views.

Cheers guys,
Alex

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Basically, not a lot of difference ! £700 will get you something good. Fix up the older bike as well.

vickster

Legendary Member
Where are you riding, it’s not entirely clear?
Roads or more paths, the latter I wouldn’t spend £1500 on a carbon road bike. Maybe look at a gravel / adventure bike which will give you drops but also the gnarliness for off road :smile:

And get your Marin serviced, new cables, new cassette, new chain and then a roadbike?

Best thing is to go to your LBS and ask to try a few bikes (although availability might be an issue). I definitely wouldn’t hang my hat on a fit from a bike shop, but on the range of bikes and service

All uphill

Still rolling along
I retired three years ago, bought a worn out 1995 Marin hybrid, did it up and have cycled thousands of miles on it. Still my most comfortable bike, and I still happily do 50 mile rides on it.

Less than a year ago I bought a new drop bar road bike. I'm quicker on it (13mph average rather than 10mph around this bumpy county), but see less while riding it and that's it!

OP
OP
A

Amac

Hi guys,
Thanks for getting back to me, with as always good advice.
You have all confirmed what I was thinking, I think I was getting caught in all the hype I was reading/research, you have got to have this or that or you will regret it forever :smile:

The sort of ridding I do, is 25-35 miles with my wife, lanes, canal paths, odd bridleways, at a leisure pace for sure, she threatens to go on strike if I try to go too fast :smile:
Which I enjoy seeing the country side and stopping for picnics.
I have started going out with the local cycling club, at their moderate pace. which is all good and meeting new people.

You have all helped me confirm my thoughts, get a cost sensible road bike for the club road rides, then get the hybrid up to standard for my leisure rides and for the shops and all that. Also next year we would like to try a 4 day cycling holiday, moving on each day which I think the hybrid would work for.

Thanks and for confirming and getting that clear in my head.....
Cheers guys

alicat

Legendary Member
What do your clubmates think you should get/spend? Get something like they have and it's most likely to be suitable for the riding you do.

If you have a practical eveyday bike you can get a second "play" bike. You can decide how practical it is in terms of tyre and muguard clearance and rack eyelets. For winter riding on wet roads mudguards are considered polite in group rides.

Another thought - sounds like you have a perfectly nice functioning bike for most of your sort of current riding, and with winter not that far away the need is maybe not pressing pressing urgent for this other bike - i stress I'm not trying to discourage you from getting one - I have close on ten.

I think I'd take your time with the decision - learn lots from folk on here and elsewhere, learn about your needs.

May avoid a rash decision.

The supply position will surely improve in time.

I'd also not write off considering second hand- you can pick up some very nice hardly used or superbly maintained bikes from careful owners (maybe more careful than some bike shop mechanics).

pm me if you want pointers.

I don't know what your bike maintenance skills are like but if they need work I'd use the intervening time until the arrival of the new toy to brush up on these/buy some good quality tools. Even modestly priced bikes can run very smoothly if well maintained - see above re quality secondhand.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you’ve come to the right conclusion. Your cycling enjoyment doesn’t run in direct relation to the cost of the bike. With a £700 bike you have enough left to tailor it to your needs and likes, stuff such as tyres stem, saddle swapped out to suit. You’ll also want to buy some gear and maybe a cycle computer, rack, tools etc.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
mm - can't help but think that's poor advice - lots of other factors come into play then.
Yes, I would agree unless they are the more 'mature & wiser' type who are still happy riding/maintaining their trusty older models. Definitely steer clear of the racing snakes who probably pay more for their sunglasses than most would on a bike.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Another thought - sounds like you have a perfectly nice functioning bike for most of your sort of current riding, and with winter not that far away the need is maybe not pressing pressing urgent for this other bike - i stress I'm not trying to discourage you from getting one - I have close on ten.

I think I'd take your time with the decision - learn lots from folk on here and elsewhere, learn about your needs.

May avoid a rash decision.

The supply position will surely improve in time.

I'd also not write off considering second hand- you can pick up some very nice hardly used or superbly maintained bikes from careful owners (maybe more careful than some bike shop mechanics).

pm me if you want pointers.

I don't know what your bike maintenance skills are like but if they need work I'd use the intervening time until the arrival of the new toy to brush up on these/buy some good quality tools. Even modestly priced bikes can run very smoothly if well maintained - see above re quality secondhand.
Good advice and 'hopefully' in the not too distant future the used market will be flooded with lockdown purchases that are no longer required because folks will be climbing back into cars. Definitely take advice though as there are a lot of nice looking 'shiney' bikes that can attract your attention but when you look at the components they are either unbranded or the lowest costing items which sometimes can not be easily upgraded.

Top Bottom